What was the true extent of the use of polish born troops in the british army navy and air force

Hi i am wondering what is the extent of polish troops in the british military during ww2 and after i know about the more famous ones like 303rd and the 1st independent polish paratroopers but i am wondering what else did they do for Britain and the allies asking due to me doing my own research into my own family with my great grandad serving in the war first as a merchant sailor for the british and then in about 1942 he ended up with the SBS as a first gen commando with them serving all over Europe and Africa and he was eventually involved with operation paperclip during and after the war when he joined the GCHQ i hope the is an ok question thx for everything and for reading. Max

2 Likes

There were 20 odd ships in the Polish Navy under RN command in WW2, with a number of ships lent from the RN. In addition, you mentioned the Paras, which were part of what was called the 1st Polish Corp, (though the units fought seperately until after WW2), with armour and infantry units, including those that fought at Cassino and at Falaise. Finally, there was a sizable air contingent, as my mentioned by Indy recently.

Maybe the best contribution was in the work the Poles did on Enigma, which was spread to the French and British.

1 Like