What role did the Azores play in the later years of the war?

I was born at the US base on Terceira Island in the Azores, and grew up on nearby São Jorge. I heard a lot of rumors about how the base came to be, but they varied wildly depending on whether the story teller liked Salazar or not. I would really like to hear the full story, or as much as can be shared without spoiling anything.

3 Likes

In 1943, Portugal began allowing the Allies to use the islands for naval and air operations. The basis was an Anglo-Portuguese treaty dating back to, and I am not making this up, 1373. (This was the basis of British use of Lajes airbase in the Azores in the 1982 Falklands War as well.) The Lajes airbase (“Airfield #4”) and Santana Field started in regular use as an anti-u-boat base, and way-station between the Western Hemisphere and Africa.

These days, Lajes is run by the Portuguese, but has a US presence (as part of NATO).

Port facilities for shipping were also used.

The 1373 treaty was reaffirmed in June of this year.

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Awesome, thank you! That treaty is a big deal in Portuguese history, including getting British help fighting off Napoleon. I guess it’s not surprising they dusted it off again.

2 Likes