What is history and what is present day?

how many years ago starts history? is the fall of the USSR present-day or history? are south Sudan split history or present day? where does the line go?

3 Likes

An hour ago is history I would guess…

3 Likes

In my history classes over 25 years ago, my professor put the split for history in:

15 years’ time.

4 Likes

Thanks that answered some of my questions on why in the late 90’s history class didn’t seem to cover the Balkans spilts or the fall of the USSR amongst other things.

4 Likes

mayby 20 years would be a good border?

2 Likes

We did discuss those events (in fact, I used to regularly see the news of the situation in the Balkans – thanks Peter Jennings). It’s just that, considering the recency of those events back in '95, we never really saw them as “being history,” though we did acknowledge their impact. Also, by then, it had been only a few years since Fukuyama’s The End of History was published.

3 Likes

Well just my school’s lack of desire I guess :unamused:

3 Likes

That too. Back when I was in university, “20 years ago” were the Ford and Carter years.

Today, it would be Bush v. Gore.

4 Likes

No college for me, wha wha wha…:face_with_head_bandage:

4 Likes

That’s alright. In my opinion, history classes in college won’t help you get much of a grasp on the subject matter and – I dare say – they sure have degraded in quality in the 21 years since I graduated. If you’ve seen the recent riots, you’ll know why I have those thoughts.

3 Likes

I think this cartoon’s somewhat relevant to the question.

The Pittsburgh Press (September 9, 1941)

ALL IN A LIFETIME
By Frank Beck

bmp
Actions you regret.

7 Likes

History is one second ago. Relevant history what that second means to you. Our history is written almost always by the winners, and then the revisionist. You surviving contact with those who wish to kill you; that is always true, accurate, and can not be revised. And hopefully always repeats it self.

4 Likes

20 years is a generally accepted timeframe probably also because than there is a generation in school for who the stuff is unknown. As for the Balkans were Europe did nothing really to stop the massacres it is something to really still process and there is a vested interest with politicians not to deal with this. In a sense it is still relevant as the very recent accords (Negotiated with outsider help to the Chagrin of some)built on that, (Current events or just the next chapter of a continuing story).

3 Likes
3 Likes