Welcome to Out of the Foxholes - Questions category

Hello Indy and crew! First time, long time (been with you since 1914!)

Question for OOTF. In a recent episode, you mentioned that the Soviets surviving the initial German onslaught and their ability to regroup and strengthen over the winter largely on their own without significant Allied aid was proving that they were emerging as a superpower in their own right. This had caused Churchill and Roosevelt to have to rethink the post-world order and that it was becoming clear that the USSR was going to play a major role moving forward.

My question is, what were the Western Allies post-war world order plans that did not include the USSR?
It’s almost unimaginable today to think about the 2nd half of the 20th century that was not dominated by the US/USSR ideological showdown.

Thanks and keep up the great work!!

3 Likes

Hello indy!

What was finlands role in the holocaust

3 Likes

Hi Indy! Finally joined the TimeGhost Army after almost 7 years of watching you guys! I can hardly believe it’s been that long.
My question for OOTF - One of the resources Germany was after in Operation Barbarossa was of course oil. I know they desperately needed it but did they have any domestic production they could rely on whether it be synthetic or natural? Or were they solely reliant on foreign oil from Romania and the USSR pre-1941?

3 Likes

Hello Indy, Astrid, and Sparty!

Been watching your content since late 1915 and finally enlisted in the TimeGhost Amry, great work!

My question(s) for OOTF is…

As the Soviet Union continues to lose ground in the Ukraine and scorched Earth policy is in affect, where is the Soviet Union getting their food supply from? Are the Soviets purely relying on foreign imports for their food? Obviously the Red Army isn’t the only Allied army that needs food, were there any shortages? What were rations like?

I come from a long history of farmers dating back to the late 1800s and my father still farms to this day in Saskatchewan! My grandmother was a little girl during the war and told me about how her father (my great-grandfather) told her about the fighting going on in the East and how everyday she would go look outside her East facing window for hours trying to see the soldiers fighting (she didn’t see any surprisingly), as well she always tells me how she hid all day and night in the basement on December 7th, 1941 because she was terrified that the Japanese were going to come attack, her father kept reassuring her that the Japanese wouldn’t come but she wouldn’t come out. lol.

Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

Hey gang,

Been watching your content since the pandemic began.

As a scientist, credentials are very important. You can’t submit a publication for example without the appropriate credentials or otherwise verifying your expertise (i.e. your supervisors credentials). While I love your content, in the day of misinformation, I would love for you to publicly verify your expertise as historians as academic journal searches, book searches, or even google searches failed to provide any results. To be fair, I may be looking in inappropriate journal databases, as I typically use biology databases and am less familiar with historical searches. I see that you are writers, producers, and actors for youtube content, yippee ki yay (sarcastically). Your content is very important if you can verify the reliability. Please do so or I must stop watching your content. Please point me to any peer-reviewed articles, conference presentations, books, instructional experience, your completed education, etc. to do so, and ideally on your youtube channel.

Much obliged,

Kevin Jensen
-M.Sc. (Biology) Florida Atlantic University
-RPCV Malawi
-B.A (Hons, Marine Biology) New College of Florida

3 Likes

I’ve actually criticized this lack of proper citation (they mostly used only a single source and it wasn’t the best one in the video discussed here):

2 Likes

Hi Indy and crew!

Can you tell us more about fighting that took place deep in the desert of Fezzan? I’m talking about First Fezzan Camapign for instance. And while we are talking about French, I would also like to ask what happened in French Somaliland during the war.

Greetings :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi Indy and the team. I wonder what the navy war was like at the eastern front? Was it only between the Red Navy and the Kriegsmarine or did other axis navies join the war?

2 Likes

Hi Indy and team,

Just like to ask how was the treatment of female Soviet prisoners of war during the war? Were they treated the same as their male counterparts? Thank you!

3 Likes

Indy, who do you think were the good leaders (non-military) and the bad leaders (non-military)?

2 Likes

Hi Indy and Time Ghost Team,

Nazi Germany might be described as an Empire of concrete. The sheer quantity of concrete that Germany laid in WW2 is mind boggling, and all this was done while under regular aerial bombardment of factories and railways. Who made Germany’s concrete, and given how bad the rail network was, how did it get where it needed to be?

1 Like

Here in Denmark it was bought by existing construction companies and their concrete factories. The salary was good, so manpower was never a problem. The Bills were paid by the danish national bank.

2 Likes

I was wondering if you could describe the coast watchers, how they survived behind Japanese lines and how they helped the defense in the pacific island campaigns.

2 Likes

Hi TimeGhost team! I have a few questions, so sorry if this is long.

Question 1. What is the thing that blows up at the end of the week by week intro video?

Question 2. As an American, I grew up believing that the US almost single handedly beat the axis forces, but being a bit older and watching a lot of WW2 documentaries, it looks more and more like the US pushed over someone that was already falling and patted ourselves on the back for it. The question I have for this is how crucial was it that the US entered the war? Did we only speed up what was already going to happen? Or did we play as important of part as we like to give ourselves credit for.

Question 3. Can you talk about the logistics of each country? Specifically the vehicles used and the favorite vehicle each country liked for transporting stuff.

Question 4. Did the German army use bush planes in operation Barbarossa for transporting supplies to the front?

So were the owners of the Danish companies who sold concrete to the Germans tried or fined at the Nuremberg trials for aiding Germany’s War effort?

Thank you for asking. They (companies) were charged by danish courts after the war but they were Acquitted by the danish Supreme Court in 1948. They Could prove that they have tried to avoid the work, but had been strongly encouraged by the danish government to please the Germans and get the cooperation policies going. The danish armed forces was only disarmed in august 1943 where also the danish Navi scuttled itselves. About a 1000 persons went to prison for working for the Germans during the war. The danish resistance targeted the companies working for the Germans with sabotage actions, often in cooperation with the local workers. The question of the danish government went to far in the cooperation with the Germans are still being discussed today. It is widely recognized as beeing the reason for the danish willingness to the deployment of troops to Jugoslavia, Kosovo, Cyprus, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya.

2 Likes

@alecberland9 There is the Emlichheim-Schoonebeek oilfield that was discovered in 1944. This straddles the Dutch-German border near Emmen. The German side started producing in 1944, the Dutch kept the extent of their discovery quiet until after the war.
Fortunately for the Allies, although these oil fields were onshore mainland western Europes largest outside Rumania, the oil is very viscous and very difficult to extract using 1940s era technology.
I was involved in the redevelopment of Schoonebeek in the mid-2000s and it took underground steam injection - produced from a combined heat and power station - to extract the oil. Steam injection technology wasn’t commercially available until the 1960s.

2 Likes

Hi Indy and the team.

As you are covering the Italian theatre of war, how about a few words about the American journalist Ernie Pyle? He covered North Africa, he covered Italy and he landed on D-Day at Omaha Beach. He was awarded a Pulitzer Price for his work in 1944.

One of his most famous column is called “The Death of Captain Waskow”, written in December 1943 in Italy. It gives the sacrifices and the terrible experiences of the soldiers a face.

His dangerous and depressing work took its toll on him, still he never went home. It may be his work and others like him which demonstrates what journalistic work and a free press should be about.

His work is still valid and, maybe more important, still widely avaiable.

1 Like

I’ve transcribed his articles from December 1942 on:

2 Likes

Hi Indy & team!

It’s clear from you coverage throughout the war that the Rasputitsa is a major factor in, well, everything that occurs during it. I have the general gist of it; rains, mud, and poor mobility, but can you tell us more about it and how it impacts the war outside of troop movements? How regular is it? Where does it come from? Is the War Against Humanity/partisan war impacted by it?

Thanks so much for all you do to bring this history to life!

2 Likes