Was this Patton's unit?

The picture is of a distant relatives tombstone in Normandy, could i get some help identifying the unit and what it did on D-Day? Also, was this Patton’s unit? Or was his unit simply 3rd Army?
RAY KNIGHT

1 Like

I was able to find a bit of history on the 36th infantry regiment. This is the ww2 quote from wiki.

The 36th Infantry Regiment was assigned to the 9th Division on 24 March 1923 then relieved from the 9th Division on 1 August 1940. It was then reassigned 36th Infantry (Armored), assigned to the 3rd Armored Division and activated 15 April 1941 at Camp Beauregard, Louisiana. The regiment was re-designated on 1 January 1942 as the 36th Armored Infantry and inactivated 10 November 1945 in Germany.

Based on what I read, I think that is the right designation. I’m an amateur at this though.

The third armored division landed at Omaha beach on the 24th of June. He would not have served under Patton in France because Patton’s third army did not become active until the breakout phase of Normandy.

Name Knight Ray
Rank Sergeant
Serial # 34230934
Company D
Unit 36AIR
Servicebranch Infantry
State, City Louisiana, Bogalusa
Date of birth 1914-02-24
Date of death 1944-06-30
Place of death Villiers-Fossard area, France
Cause of death Killed in Action
Plot,Row,Grave H, 10, 10
Cemetery Normandy American Cemetery, Colleville-sur-Mer, France,Google Maps
Awards Purple Heart

I pulled this from the archives of the 3rd armored division.

https://36air-ad.com/

Might be more information there and at least it formats better.

Much respect for your relative. I see as a sergeant , he would have been a leader. Definitely a hero in my eyes. I hope this helps a little.

Dan

1 Like