Was Hitler Serious about invading Britain?

Hello ; I have watched several battle of Britain shows and the all say how they saved their Island , from NAZI invasion . while I am in no way trying to belittle Fighter Command and the RAF for their courage in the face of the German attack . I t rightly deserves it’s legendary status it has earned . But I am wondering was Hitler really serious about invading Britain ? Could he have been thinking if the British see me threating to invade knowing what everyone thought of the quality of the German Army . Maybe he could by a show of strength bluff Britain into surrendering . meanwhile he would turn his air force on them to show he ment business . But as the battle went on he saw he was in for a serious fight . and there was still the Royal Navy to contend with . So he postponed the invasion before quietly cancelling it when he saw the British ment business

1 Like

Same question I have. A successful invasion in 1940 seems unlikely, given that D-day was such a near run thing in 1944. The Allies had specialized craft, tons of practice in amphibious landings and planning that took into consideration docks and fuel needs. The Germans had none of that. Converted barges that had to go up against the Royal Navy? I really doubt it could have worked. I think maybe Hitler was hoping to get the British to surrender based on the threat of invasion. And that was even more unlikely.

1 Like

I agree , how did Hitler honestly think he could get enough tanks across the English Channel in River Barges and maybe a few Merchant ships for which you would have to capture a Seaport. up until recently a lot of historians and documentary producers have basically have written the Royal Navy off I wonder how long a river barge pool supplies possibly being towed slowly would have lasted with
15 inch shells Landing around it

1 Like