WAH 055 Betrayed its own principles

The segment from the video where Sparty mentions that, for anyone curious:

…To fulfill the German quota, Jews in Bulgaria proper were to be included as well. Before that can happen though, on March 17, the Bulgarian Parliament refuses to deport its own Jews. Still, Bulgarian Jews continue to be imprisoned in camps and ghettos and continue to be used as forced laborers by their fellow countrymen.

1 Like

Your story is actually very relatable. Last year I checked out my nephew’s text book and the amount of material they cover in 1 year is insane. Mid-1850s to late 2000s. WW1 is slightly better. It is two pages rather than two paragraphs (though one page is basically just pretty pictures).

2 Likes

You know, I was so caught up in the initial problems that I didn’t notice this.

There was no such thing as Jewish ghettos in Bulgaria. Are you sure that was the exact word? Because if it is, then this is just a blatant lie and propaganda.

Come to think of it, there are some other elements that suggest deliberate propaganda. Real scummy on their part.

2 Likes

Yes, I have transcribed Sparty’s video word for word in a document and you can also see the word “ghetto” used in the YouTube transcript as well.

2 Likes

In that case, remaking the video should be mandatory. This is either blatant propaganda or they did 0 research. This makes the whole thing even more shameful and deceitful.

Mr. @Spartacus , can you please share your source on Bulgaria’s Jewish ghettos?

2 Likes

BTW, go to 18:41 in the video for confirmation of what I said.

1 Like

Or not researching seriosly.

would have been a good start, or any other German/English wikipedia entry about Bulgarian history. It would not be a valid basis for a doctor thesis, but they would not been completly clueless about what has been the difference of the history of all this “little Balkan things”.
From Bulgaria in German:

2 Likes

Holy smokes! And I thought that only Asians had it that bad. :laughing:

2 pages is not enough to do ww1 justice. But they are kids so I get why only 2 pages.

3 Likes

When I was in junior high school WW1 was hardly covered but then again we were neutral. The books also didn’t mention the Asylum of the Kaiser. Probably embarrassed that we limited asylum seekers but welcomed him. (At least the Royal family did that).

4 Likes

Having watched the Timeghost video now and rereading your comments, I am not sure if I agree on the ‘betrayal of history’ you claim. They may not have mentioned his name, but they mentioned the deed. From further reading I found that ghettos and camps may be a bit of dramatization, forced labor and general marginalization was definitely part of the Jewish fate in Bulgaria. Surely, most of them didn’t fell to the worst fate of Nazi crimes, Bulgaria was hardly a jewish paradise.

Some further reading I found: CONTRASTING DESTINIES : THE PLIGHT OF BULGARIAN JEWS AND THE JEWS IN BULGARIAN-OCCUPIED GREEK AND YUGOSLAV TERRITORIES DURING WORLD WAR TWOCONTRASTING DESTINIES : THE PLIGHT OF BULGARIAN JEWS AND THE JEWS IN BULGARIAN-OCCUPIED GREEK AND YUGOSLAV TERRITORIES DURING WORLD WAR TWO

5 Likes

That’s the thing tho. Only mentioning it isn’t good enough. Especially given how complex the situation was, as explained in the article (very good article by the way).

Let’s take the part of the article that suggests political bias leads to glorifying certain figures over others (although I would argue that, objectively, Peshev and his MP group did have a larger influence than illegal partisan radio station “Hristo Botev”):

• Why were the public protests not mentioned?
  • Why was the opposition to the canceling not mentioned?

By oversimplifying everything with ‘Bulgarian Parliament decides…’ they make the whole thing sound trivial and unimportant. Meanwhile, in other parts of Europe, they have covered pro-Jewish protests in major detail.

This leads to an ever bigger problem: is the deliberate oversimplification in Bulgaria, contrasted with the overly detailed coverage in Western Europe, a sign of geographical bias? A team of professional historians should be well above these trivial biases.

And look, it’s not like they needed to dedicate 30 minutes to it (in case the argument of ‘they didn’t have time’ pops up), they could’ve covered it properly in just a few sentences. Here:

“Having witnessed the deportations from Yugoslavia, some members of the Bulgarian Parliament become uneasy and petition to have their own deportations cancelled. This faces fierce resistance from the pro-German politicians, but after protests from the local population, they relent; and decide that the Jews will be better served as forced labor instead. But at least they won’t have to face extermination.”

See? Not difficult, and much more accurate. And it didn’t require any dramatization or making up of Jewish ghettos. It’s why I’m leaning towards this being a decision based on regional bias. The fact that they have chosen to completely ignore the feedback also lends credence to this theory.

5 Likes

So it seems they continue to ignore this topic. I think they have not made any attempts to correct themselves?

3 Likes

Honestly, I think they don’t even read this forum. Either that or Sparty is still busy looking for his source on Jewish ghettos in Bulgaria.

2 Likes

It is mostly the former. Sparty hasn’t been on this forum since November

2 Likes

There is so much they don’t cover in schools at all, such as the reign of terror of the christian church (indirecty, via the lords and princes and kings the church supported) that lasted in most of Europe from the dying days of the Western Roman Empire to the height of the Colonial Era.

It almost beggars belief, the sheer amount of religious inspired wars, land theft, massacres, colonial terror, resource theft, physical and cultural genocide of natives to the point where various churches sponsored native child theft where the remaining native religions and cultures were stamped out violently. Manifest Destiny was basically the final chapter of this horrific era.

And for all those approximately 1,500 years reactionary christian conservatives were in charge nearly everywhere nearly the whole time and thus responsible for most of this despotism. Of course the other major brand of abrahamic monotheism has a similar history starting in the 7th century (using the ‘western’ calendar).

Neither of those two branches of abrahamism came to be dominant today through power of message, but rather through centuries of systematic application of gruesome terror. Conservatives would do well not to forget their own history.

1 Like

How does that correlate with anything written up there?

5 Likes