W refusal to shoot, live and let live incidents were there see the Slam Marshall survey

“When Col. Samuel Lyman Marshall came home in 1945, he was one of millions of Americans who had served in the Second World War. Perhaps a third of them had seen combat, and Marshall, as the European theater’s deputy historian, had talked to an unprecedentedly large number of them. In a few months he began the little book that was to make him S. L. A. Marshall, a respected and highly influential military historian. In the 211 pages of Men Against Fire, Marshall made an astonishing assertion: In any given body of American infantry in combat, no more than one-fifth, and generally as few as 15 percent, had ever fired their weapons at an enemy, indeed ever fired their weapons at all.”

Source American Heritage magazine March 1989.

I wonder how prevalent this was in WW2 were troops tended to be more spread out than say the Napoleonic wars. Also there are some films which have cases like Band of Brothers and eternal zero wher the pilot avoided combat. Besides, the Spitfire pilot Wellum who wrote about combat fatigue felt massive remorse after killing an unsuspected snapper (ME-109 from behind). Killing people is not as easy as pixels.

Here is a link to more research.(which partly argues against Marshall.

3 Likes

I’d encountered reactions to Marshall’s book many years ago (https://quotulatiousness.ca/blog/2015/10/15/s-l-a-marshall-dave-grossman-and-the-man-is-naturally-peaceful-meme/).

Nearly a decade ago on the old site, I linked to a debunking of Marshall’s work and said: “I had to assume, as Marshall’s work was constantly being praised by (mostly) American writers, that even if it wasn’t true for Canadian, British, German, Russian, or even French soldiers, it must be true of American soldiers. Which dovetailed nicely with my early anti-American feelings. So, a big-name American general says that Yankee soldiers are too timid to fire their weapons in combat 75% of the time? No wonder they’re losing in Vietnam.”

3 Likes

Nice questions and answers! Btw, didn’t realize Chewbacca got his wing in a Cessna! Give me hope of flying the millennium falcon :smirk:

2 Likes

Lol, a Cessna does need a few more parsecs to do the Kessel run :crazy_face: .The Wookie :bear: is the one I took my solo Flights. I also got a “It’s dangerous to go solo, take a Wookie” shirt. Well they are the best copilots in the Universe. Moreover a copilot that can beat up Gators :crocodile:is useful when flying over Florida State :smiley: :joy:.

2 Likes