V-E Day (5-8-45)

parry3

I DARE SAY —
Botched

By Florence Fisher Parry

NEW YORK – Maybe it was the same other places; all I know is what happened here. You may have seen the pictures, but they don’t tell the story. You’d have had to be here to see.

I tried to write, yesterday, how it was here the first delirious hours on Monday. But I got the column off before the celebration had bogged down – that came later, around three o’clock. And it wasn’t pretty to be in on. No.

To see the picture clear, you must remember that it had been raining here steadily for a solid week – and then on Monday the sun broke wide open, like the brass section of a mighty orchestra, and everybody poured out of doors!

The news came, remember, at about 9:35 in the morning? By 10 o’clock the thing had broken loose. It wasn’t pandemonium. It was different, it was deeper, it was a shining, grand thing to see! The faces of the people, the way the people crowded toward Times Square as though moved by some inner compulsion that hadn’t anything to do with celebrating – just a deep fixed habit of years…

To meet there TOGETHER, to gather in a great out-of-door mass-meeting and move and sway there in the wide oblong rendezvous… the way they’d always done here when a tremendous event struck the bell of history…

Gypped again?

Then, after a few hours, the great uneasiness began to set in… You could see it on the faces, you could hear it in the lessening noise of the crowds. Why wasn’t the word said at Washington? Why didn’t anything happen? Where was the guarantee? Were they being gypped again? Again?

A few went on drinking in a dogged, heavy way. But not many. The slow-coming flush in the faces of the throngs was not from drinking this time. It was the flush of resentment. Of being stood up again. The crowds began to disperse. The little flag-and-horn vendors stood numb and bewildered at their corners. The newshawks stacked their papers beside them and stood stonily by.

Presently the sun shrank behind a heavy gray tent-top. By dusk Broadway was a sullen soggy street with stragglers, looking a little foolish, moving sluggishly.

By the time the theaters emptied at 11, the crowds had swollen a little, moving slowly and dispiritedly along the course of what had been meant to be the greatest Mardi Gras of celebration in human history… Empty taxis picked up stragglers. Few bothered to watch the news coursing around the Times Building. For by this time, they knew it by heart.

Peace, they had been told, had come, but its corroboration was still held back; it had not been authentic; the President would not make the formal announcement until next day.

Now we know what happened. We read today the shameful news that a breach of confidence by one correspondent broke the news prematurely – and, on the word of Gen. Eisenhower, imperiled the surrender negotiations between Germans and Russians.

Pledge

Nothing is more sacred to an experienced and qualified newspaperman than respect for off-the-record information. It is given him with the understanding that he will respect it.

This man’s fellow reporters understood their responsibility and lived up to their off-the-record pledges. Even after he disregarded the rules and told the world that capitulation had occurred – as far as the Western Allies and Germany were concerned – they resisted all the terrific pressure from their own employer-newspapers for confirmation.

Taunted by the claim that this correspondent had scored the greatest “scoop” in history, they still respected the agreement.

And so one man botched the great proclamation. And, outside, it was raining on Tuesday; is still raining. The rain falls tiresomely, coldly, all day long. The streets are sodden. Broadway is dull and empty. The little flag-and-horn vendors stand drenched and forlorn, their wares unnoted.

The heart of New York spent itself too soon. The botch of V-E Day is complete and utter.

Message from Soviet Marshal Stalin to President Truman
May 11, 1945

Сердечно благодарю Вас за дружественные поздравления по случаю безоговорочной капитуляции гитлеровской Германии. Народы Советского Союза высоко ценят участие дружественного американского народа в нынешней освободительной войне. Совместная борьба советских, американских и британских армий против немецких захватчиков, завершившаяся их полным разгромом и поражением, войдёт в историю как образец боевого содружества наших народов.

От имени советского народа и Советского правительства прошу передать американскому народу и доблестной американской армии горячий привет и поздравления с великой победой.

И. СТАЛИН
11 мая 1945

The Pittsburgh Press (May 11, 1945)

parry3

I DARE SAY —
The lights go on

By Florence Fisher Parry

NEW YORK (V-E Night) – It was dusk when we caught our taxi. The clouds had fled the sky after 10 days of downpour. Even as we stepped into the taxi near Grand Central, we could hear a low purr from Times Square. A haze of light loomed, westward.

“Why, they’ve turned on the lights of Broadway!” we cried. We felt a little giddy as we came into the wide-open square before Times Square. The duplicate Statue of Liberty held a flaming torch, and her crown was a diadem of lights. The marquees of the theaters blazed their wares, and the great electric signs were shining! And the “Way” was gay and white!

We had stood in this selfsame spot exactly three years ago, when the first complete blackout engulfed Manhattan. Three years. Now the sudden brilliance and life was almost too much to bear. With hundreds of others, silenced too, we stood still, tears in our eyes. Only now the splendor and sadness of the day seemed to break in upon us. It took the lights of Broadway to do it, somehow… make us FEEL that yes, IT HAD COME!

The lovers

There were many young lovers, sailors encircling their girls, soldiers bending over the faces of shining young women, giddy with love and relief. The side streets were full of these young lovers, standing close to the windows kissing, saying soft words to each other…

A tall gangly sailor was rubbing the nose of a policeman’s horse. “Where you come from, sailor?” asked the officer. “Montana,” grinned the sailor. “Kin I give him a piece of candy like I do at home?”

We went into our theater, to see Bloomer Girl. All through its action we could hear the soft far roar from Broadway. The actors spoke a little more loudly, the audience was very quiet. When the final ballet came, one that showed the Civil War brides and sweethearts awaiting the return of their lovers… and the lovers returned and stood there an instant, spellbound by the glory of reunion, and then took their girls in their arms, the audience wept… One girl in the ballet looked in vain for her lover and sank to the ground, bereft… And a sob came from a girl beside me…

…We went to Grand Central just to see the boys come in from their trains… Ah, the meetings, ah, the swift heartbreaking partings, ah, the pity and ache of war!

We sat at a squeezed table to have a clam stew. Besides us, facing each other, were a girl and a soldier. She was very light and frail with a sensitive face, and her lids hung heavily with shyness and love. It was their last date. He was going out again that night.

Departure

“Are you sure you have everything? You haven’t forgotten anything, have you?” she said softly.

“Nope. Not a thing. As I was saying, these guys I was telling you about had an idea they could drink me under the table. ME! That’s a good one! Why, I could drink them all under the table. I always can drink whoever I’m wid under the table.”

“It was wonderful your being able to BE here tonight, on such a big night. Victory and everything. Maybe you won’t have to stay so long now… Maybe you’ll be coming home sooner…”

“Mebbe. Well, I’m kinda used to the Army. Take this leave now, it was swell, but I dunno, I’ll be glad to get back to my buddies. Take Jenks now, he’s the guy who thinks he can drink ME under the table! Wisht he was here tonight, would I show HIM!"

It was time to go now, the place was closing… We moved away from the table. The girl was still listening to her hero. Her pinched little smile kept coming back to me as I turned out the lights of our room…

All over Europe, the guns had stopped firing. Bodies had ceased to crumple in that odd, sudden grotesque way… The far Broadway din seemed to turn into a thin high wall… as of anguish, the thin wall of anguish from the throats of those to whom this day had come too late…

2 Likes