Use of WW1 tank in WW2?

Hello, I know that france used Reneault FT at the start of the war and that the german used them as beute, I also know about the use of a mark tank in the battle of berlin(it come from a museum). Beside that, wich other nation used world war 1 tank and what di they do with them?

Thanks for your answer!

3 Likes

Finland had Renault FT-17 tanks in the Winter War but they were considered obsolete. During the Winter War they were intended to be used as machine gun dugouts (that is the whole tank is dug into the ground with only the turret visible). Some were also used for towing captured Soviet tanks.

3 Likes

I guess you already answered your own question. The Red Army didn’t have any tanks during The Great War, but the bulk of their tanks, used in defence against the Axis forces at the beginning of Operation Barbarossa were hopelessly obsolete T70 and BT2, 5 and 7 tanks, Interbellum aged so not from WW1…close, but no cigar :wink:
At the war museum in Overloon, the Netherlands, there is a Renault FT 17 on display which was captured by the Germans and actually used in combat.

2 Likes

There are pictures from the aftermath of the battle of Tallinn 1941 that show at least one MK. V tank used as a pillbox at crossroads. I did read many years ago that there was a working MK. V that towed an otherwise immobile Mk. V which were active during the battle. I have searched the web many times since for the article but to no avail.

2 Likes

Check out the tank encyclopedia web site. They list Poland, Yugoslavia, Belgium, France, Greece, Finland, Brazil and China and it was sent to so many other countries in the interwar years including Afghanistan. Surely a most successful tank for its time.

2 Likes

the truck & tank hors série 37 give the number of avaible renault ft in 1940 at 1580 tank

2 Likes