US Army 442nd RCT

If ever there was a single unit in the American Army deserving of a dedicated episode, this is it. The all Japanese-American segregated unit was formed from natural born Americans of Japanese ancestry in early 1943, often recruited directly from the internment camps where entire families were forcibly relocated.

The regiment was famous for the number of individual awards for valor won by its members. They earned more than 18,000 awards, including 9,500 Purple Hearts, 5,200 Bronze Star Medals, 588 Silver Stars, 52 Distinguished Service Crosses, 7 Distinguished Unit Citations, and one Congressional Medal of Honor.

It is a story worth telling.

6 Likes

Totally agree, the flick go for broke is about them.

3 Likes

We will keep it on the agenda. This reminds me of Dr Brown

It is a story worth who posted on black balloon troops on Omaha Beach. D-Day Research Contribution HERE - #99 by brbrowniii801

1 Like

And the First Nations who went ashore on Juno. I dedicated my virtual memorial to Charles Biird. The father of CTV presenter Nelson Bird whom I met in Normandy 2005 when I and hom and film team were the only ones on the beach.

And shameless plug for the September 2022 meet-up. concrete Info to follow. Normandy is easy to reach by fast train and car and accommodation is less expensive in September…

2 Likes