Tools for Generals

I read a great book that taught me a lot about why General Patton was so successful in his drive across Europe. The book is Patton’s Air Force by David N. Spires. Lots of great info on how the close air support was worked and planned. Hoping this might enlighten others to see that “Blood and Guts” did think about his troops. Has anyone else read this book?
I just want to say that I have watched your series on WW1, between the wars and WW2. Looking forward to the Korean War as I don’t have that much knowledge on that topic. You all do a great job. Excelsior!

3 Likes

Thanks for the Tip, I was in Ettelbruck Patton Museum and Bastogne this weekend. Well worth a visit especially now the Barracks reopened as a museum.

It features the rooms were NUTS was type and a number of short movies portraying the discussion on the EXACT place were it happened. Left a lot of people with tears in their eyes.

Chewie:
PS The Ettelbruck Museum will inaugarate a Patton square 22 September. Also they lovered the Patton lost his pilots license episode from Timeghost

2 Likes

No problem for the tip. Hope you’ve had a great time visiting the past.

2 Likes

Thanks for the rec. As a follow up I would recommend “Over Lord, Gen. Pete Quesada and the Triumph of Tactical Air Power” by Thomas Alexander Hughes. It covers the process of developing the air-to-ground tactics and integration of air and ground forces, from North Africa on, culminating in Patton’s (and other’s) drives.

Great I’m going to look for that book as soon as I finish here. Thanks for the info and I hope that you enjoy the read as much as I did.