These games look prehistoric (well the 1979)

Hi,
Something completely different. Real time Strategy games starting with the Oddessy / know in Europe as the Philips G7000 series game computer which came with a keyboard in 1979!

Interesting to see that things I remember as super hightech which few people understood look like the tools troglodytes used :wink:

4 Likes

ā€œPrehistoricā€? Iā€™m gonna pretend you never wrote thatā€¦ :crazy_face:

2 Likes

LOL, naaah I am sure the only reason Cavepeople didnā€™t use their Nokia 3310s because there was no coverage in the cave :crazy_face:

2 Likes

3310 is way to modern. It was Nokia 3210 that broke the Sound barrier with its high tech multimedia screen
1.5-inch backlit monochrome graphic LCD display **
84x48 px, 64 ppi** , 5 lines

2 Likes

TV tennis, what a high tech experience :rofl:

2 Likes

Came a long way in a WW2 flight simulator game. Flew for the US and won a lot of medals and promotions. Got kicked out of the game when I, in my eager, killed my second P51 Mustang šŸ„² - well - accidents do happend

2 Likes

Thatā€™s not prehistoric. THIS is Prehistorik: Prehistorik 2 on Steam

One of the first games I ever played, on a black and white monitor even.

Then, there is this gem right here:

2 Likes

Cool awesome game input ā€œPrehistorik: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:)ā€

1 Like

As long as you donā€™t do it with the AVDOC/Stallion 51 Mustangs it is fine with me, at least donā€™t do it before I visit them :slight_smile:. My favorite Flight simulator at the time was Aces of the Pacific in which the player can enroll in a wartime career in the US Navy/Marines/Army or the Japanese Navy/Army. You can of feel the frustration of the Cactus Air Force which didnā€™t have the range to hit the Japanese but got loads of hits. The flight modules were pretty good and it was suicide to attack a bomber 2/tailgun from behind. Should get a remake! It was reasonably easy to get into unlike the free P-51 from DCS nowadays!

2 Likes

Remember TV tennis as well, these invaded lots of homes in the 70s ad early eighties and led to fights about TV usage in households :wink:

2 Likes

Here is another one, 13 Kilobytes on the VIC 20. Based on the 1983 movie Wargames which is still relevant. (Where ā€œFerris Buelerā€ inadvertently starts WW2 :wink:

Spoiler below:
The only winning move is NOT TO PLAY, now THAT is a wise lesson methinks! Although I never heard this advice repeated!

I loved the game below!
Computer War - Vic-20 +8k - Real Hardware - YouTube

2 Likes

Shouldnā€™t have screwed up and/or skipped school, Ferris :crazy_face:

P.S. Donā€™t you mean ā€œalmost started WW3ā€?

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. Oh oops, obviously WW3, must be getting old as I am losing count ;-). Anyway, I think in the early days of dialing in PCs this movie was right on the mark :wink:

1 Like

Oh absolutely. Iā€™m guilty of having engaged in phreaking as a kid. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Saw the film in theaters tooā€¦ sigh, good times.

1 Like

Cool, I only saw in in 2013 in the Prince Charles Cinema in London (they rerun old classics and have lots of singalongs). Back then it really struck me how current this movie was. Now maybe even more as companies get ransomed etc.

I heard that back in the 80s a lot of companies went to "dial backā€™ security as if you dial in to a company it would hang up the phone and call you at a ā€œknown numberā€. Note: Pre-internet this was a ā€œdata callā€ so no audible voice and your telephone line was not usable for voice calls.

Apparently this movie did put a spotlight on security when few people could afford log dial in sessions!

1 Like

Indeed. Even the Reagan administration knew something had to be done after they saw the film. As for me, 6(going on 7)-year-old me would consider the climax just before the end nightmare fuel.

1 Like

Did you play Aces over Europe as well? It was insane turning on infinite ammunition and firing rockets from the Me-262.

2 Likes

By now even the 1990s Wing Commander series looks positively prehistoric. Even the parts where they used real actors (hi there Mark Hammill) are super dated.

2 Likes

Dated? Yes.
ā€œPrehistoricā€? Heck no. I can only say ā€œKids ainā€™t stupid.ā€ Donā€™t be like certain YouTubers who act as if the games they played in their youth were the equivalent of the pre-telegraph days, even as a joke.

More a general statement, really, rather than a reply.

P.S. Iā€™ve played Wing Commander back in 1990. It was great! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that ā€˜prehistoricā€™ in this sense is only in the sense of ā€˜relative toā€™, not a definite statement.

But darnit if I canā€™t recall the first time I managed to destroy the Kilrathi base in WC2 with my half crippled shipā€¦ it felt like such a glorious victory :grinning:

1 Like