The valiant Defenders of Ukraine

As critical thinker I don’t need others to think and critique for me. Li is just one of many telling the same story. You asked what secret I know - I showed you how easy it is to find those “secrets”.

Examples of how perceptions (fake news, manufacture of consent) are created in the west:

Harff: For 18 months, we have been working for the Republics of Croatia and Bosnia-
Herzegovina, as well as with the [anti-Serb] opposition in Kosovo…

Merlino: What achievement are you most proud of?

Harff: To have managed to put Jewish opinion on our side. This was a sensitive matter…
President Tudjman was very careless in his book, Wastelands of Historical Reality.
Reading his writings, one could accuse him of anti-Semitism. In Bosnia the situation was
no better. President IzetbegoviÉ strongly supported the creation of a fundamentalist
Islamic state in his book The Islamic Declaration. Besides, the Croatian and Bosnian past
was marked by a real and cruel anti-Semitism. Tens of thousands of Jews perished in
Croatian camps. So there was every reason for intellectuals and Jewish organizations to
be hostile toward the Croats and the Bosnians. Our challenge was to reverse this attitude.
And we have succeeded masterfully

At the beginning of July 1992, New York Newsday came out with the affair of
[Serb] concentration camps [probably a reference to Gutman’s reports]. We jumped at the
opportunity immediately. We outwitted three big Jewish organizations – the B’nai B’rith
Anti-Defamation League, the American Jewish Committee, and the American Jewish
Congress. In August we suggested that they publish an advertisement in the New York
Times and organize demonstrations outside the United Nations.
That was a tremendous coup. When the Jewish organizations entered the game on
the side of the [Muslim] Bosnians, we could promptly equate the Serbs with the Nazis in
the public mind. Nobody understood what was happening in Yugoslavia. The great
majority of Americans were probably asking themselves in which African country Bosnia
was situated. But in a single move, we were able to present a simple story of good guys
and bad guys, which would hereafter play itself. We won by targeting the Jewish
audience. Almost immediately, there was a clear change of language in the press, with the
use of words with high emotional content such as “ethnic cleansing,” “concentration
camps,” etc, which evoked images of Nazi Germany and the gas chambers of Auschwitz.
The emotional charge was so powerful nobody could go against it.

Merlino: But when you did all this, you had no proof that what you said was true. You
only had the article in Newsday!

Harff: Our work is not to verify information. We are not equipped for that. Our work is to accelerate the circulation of information favorable to us, to aim at judiciously chosen
targets. We did not confirm the existence of death camps in Bosnia, we just made it
known that Newsday affirmed it.

Merlino: Are you aware that you took on a grave responsibility?

Harff: We are professionals. We had a job to do and we did it. We are not paid to be
moral.

That was an interview with Ruder-Finn professionals.

I wonder if any of such professionals are doing the same today, against Russia, China, Venezuela, etc. What do you think?

Replace Western with Russian and the statement is even more correct.

I take issue with this false promise, probably as much as you do, but again, just because I don’t like some stuff my country or allies are doing I don’t go off and praise some bullshit kleptocratic dictatorship. My country let’s me point out the stuff that’s wrong with it and I’ll make use of it to do so.

I think there are misinformation campaigns going around in many places, not limited to western or eastern sources. I also think it is foolish to take one proven instance of misinformation and use it to immediately disregard everything that is critical of something you like.

You also conveniently assume Russia, China, Venezuela, etc. and other ‘alternative’ regimes are the only target of misinformation campaigns. You also completely skip over the glaring fact that all these countries have themselves at some point or another been involved in such campaigns.

Again, you can criticize western democracies and governments all you want, but it only sounds hypocritical if you’re not willing to critigue your own. As I stated before, “US bad” is somewhat of a fact, but not a substitution for a political philosophy.

1 Like

So 2 months in and sanctions don’t seem to be hurting the value of the Ruble much. Does anyone think the cutting off of gas supplies to certain countries changes anything? Just curious.

Personally, If I were a Polish patriot it might be a good time for an accident near Nordstream 1. Oops, now no one gets gas except through the overland pipelines.

Patriotism is to harm your ally?

I actually think it would strengthen certain ties because their are many pipelines on land and they go through both Poland and Ukraine. Make sure they become more valuable and maybe Russia decides not to blow as much of Ukraine up.

Jamal is the pipeline through Poland, transfer (latest news) 0. In my opinion the selection of Poland and (as a sideshow) Bulgaria is to get the NATO countries divided. If the pipelines through Ukraine are still working, I do not know. The Russian army is blowing up Ukraine up elsewere. A pipeline is long but not much space to spare when you blow up a country.

Yeah they sure are a vulnerable target. I admit, I do not know what pipelines are functional and which are damaged. But overland pipelines are more easily repaired as well.

Is my idea a good one? Probably not but I also don’t believe that sending millions of whatever currency is being used to Russia everyday is good either. I understand why it was done as natural gas is way more popular than Nuclear or coal. But what is good in peacetime can really suck during war.

And why Poland? No great reason but every country over there has submersibles. Plausible deniability if an accident occurs.

Sending Russia money to make weapons, sending Ukraine weapons to blow up those weapons just seems like we are producing dead Ukrainians and trash heaps over 1/2 of Ukraine. It’s sad.

Yes it is sad, but mistakes made over decades can not be cured in weeks.

1 Like

The contracts with Poland and Bulgaria was only running until 2022, so it still symbolic.

1 Like

Agree, but US also transferred a lot of its production to China for short term profit, but also I geuss, for making a partner out of China i sted of an enemy. The same fair and reasonable approach German have had to Russia. It will take time, but this is now a long term geopolitical, cultural war, Russia has burnt its bridges to Europe for decades to come, and with the new US strategy (Russia shall bleed) the war will go on for years.

2 Likes

Free Trade with China was a major mistake in the 2000’s.

3 Likes

That’s mostly because the Russian government is artificially propping up its value. Income from fossil fuels will definitely help to keep doing it, but it is still mostly a temporary and expensive solution. It will take more than 2 months, but they won’t be able to keep doing this indefinitely. The sanctions will start to hurt at some point.

1 Like

Time will tell.
Europe and the west are not really in friendly relations with most of the rest of the world. Europe’s population will suffer more, same as Europe’s productivity, competitiveness. How long before Europeans start asking questions about is it worth it?

I am providing you with information how western realists see western hegemony - exporting western values, dictating others how they need to live, organize their lives, etc. It is not criticism of “democracy” but of hegemony.

You conveniently forget that none of those countries go around the world and impose their systems, values, protects its interests on other side of the globe, etc.
I couldn’t care less if you are misinformed about me unless your wrong opinion is going to be used to harm me - that is what “manufacturing consent” is about.

Interestingly, Chinese bases on 2000km from Australia would be a red line for Australians, but Russia should accept nuclear weapons and bio-labs on its borders.

# Scott Morrison says Chinese military base in Solomon Islands would be ‘red line’ for Australia, US

Russia in Georgia and Ukraine , no we are only here to help you , please line up so we can shoot you in a helpfull matter.

2 Likes

Does it matter where the Nukes are , they can be launched by many nations from almost anywhere in the world?
I would rather see there were no nukes in the world , they cost billions per year to maintain and should never be used.
Even if the nukes are not maintained properly and are duds , once a nuclear launch is detected all other nukes in the world are shot and it will be the end of all of us.
Like roaches maybe some small pockets of humans will survive but those who do survive will not be able to rebuild.
At least the earth will start to heal after all us humans are no more

1 Like

Both of which have been part of Russia or Soviet Union and even provided leaders there. Russia definitely has legitimate interests, including their own nationals.

Can’t be said anything similar for US, UK, Australia, France …

You should follow the Guadalcal campaign on this channel to understand the huge strategic importance of the Solomons to Australia. Just for kind info - of course on the assumption that you think a person from the west Is able to show any form of kindness that would be meaningful to you.

2 Likes

A big part of Europe was conquered by Germany in the second world war , by your logic Germany would have a claim to now take militairy actions on all those countries.
Just because the Soviet Union occupied those countries does not mean they have any claim on them.
The Netherlands have also occupied a big part of the world , they tried to keep Indonesia from optaining their freedom.
Check out the series on timeghost on how that turned out for the Netherlands
The history books are full of Rulers who want “help” others for the low low price of their freedom and their own culture

1 Like