The Syria–Lebanon Campaign (1941)

The Pittsburgh Press (July 8, 1941)

SPAIN TO MEDIATE VICHY-BRITISH WAR

Ankara, July 7 (UP) – (delayed)
British officials at Cairo have already contacted Syrian authorities at Beirut regarding an armistice, British diplomatic sources reported tonight.

Spain will act as intermediary, they said, if and when formal negotiations are begun.

3 Likes

U.S. Department of State (July 8, 1941)

740.0011 European War 1939/12909: Telegram

The Consul General at Beirut to the Secretary of State

Beirut, July 8, 1941 — 11 a.m.
[Received 2:40 p.m.]

1. General Dentz obviously had no knowledge of the proposal emanating from the Australian Commander-in-Chief quoted in the Department’s 127, July 5, 7 p.m. In accordance with the point of view expressed in my 278, July 7, I did not of course make any mention of it. As the record now stands the High Commissioner’s present request for a suspension of hostilities is his own and not a reply to some real or imaginary British proposal. And that, I maintain, is as it should be in view of all the circumstances.

2. General Dentz received me in an empty house — the third his headquarters have occupied since the outbreak of hostilities because of the air raids — and I found the place in a state of utmost confusion. It was evident that he and his staff were about to evacuate Beirut. Incidentally even Conty and other officials of the political bureau were in uniform with large pistols strapped around their waists. The General briefly introduced the subject by stating that the British had broken through at Damour and although they had been counterattacked and had suffered heavy losses they had received reinforcements while the French had not and he had therefore been instructed by Vichy to suggest an immediate suspension of hostilities. But he added with his usual defiance “the game is by no means up yet”.

3. I learn indirectly that the French became discouraged when they found that reinforcements could arrive only in relatively small numbers and that they would soon be short of arms and ammunition as a result of the sinking of the Saint Didier by British planes at Adalia. A French airman also stated that the air force had lost 120 planes between June 8 and July 2 and were difficult to replace. Moreover, even General Dentz did not quite dare invite active German military support more because he knew how strongly his subordinates felt on the subject. But he always implied that he might after all have to resort to it if the British pushed him too hard. So that when Germany attacked Russia and he realized that no help on a large scale could possibly be forthcoming for at least several months his last trump card failed him.

4. I understand that General Dentz will move his headquarters to Tripoli where the American Girls School has just been taken over by the military presumably for that purpose. Garrison there is now said to number about 6,000. Three large planes are constantly being kept in readiness in Beirut for the evacuation of the High Commissioner and his staff. Gold reserves mentioned in my 221, June 17, amounting to 800,000 sterling have already been shipped to France by air and all stocks of unissued banknotes have been destroyed.

ENGERT

740.00119 European War 1939/759: Telegram

The Ambassador in France to the Secretary of State

Vichy, July 8, 1941 — 6 p.m.
[Received 6:18 p.m.]

We called on Rochat this afternoon to discuss the situation in Syria and before we could bring up the High Commissioner’s statement reported in Beirut’s triple priority telegram to London this morning he stated that steps have now been taken to open direct conversations for an armistice in Syria. He reiterated that at the time of our conversation yesterday he had no information that such a move was even in the air. We told him of our receipt of Beirut’s telegram following which he went on to request that the Embassy emphasize two points in reporting to the Department and to Beirut. The first point he said to which the French attach the greatest importance is continued recognition of French political rights in Syria and the Lebanon. He stressed, with reference to British indications of future independence for Syria, that an armistice for the cessation of hostilities is not the logical place for discussion of such political questions as change of sovereignty. The second point which he said is one of great importance from the point of view of the sensibilities of this Government is that the negotiations should be carried on directly with the British high command and not with any representatives of the De Gaulle forces. Should General Catroux or one of his subordinates be appointed to discuss terms for the cessation of hostilities he feels that such a move might seriously complicate the progress of negotiations or even result in their being broken off.

He said that he is not familiar with the military terms to be discussed; that it is felt much wiser to leave them almost entirely to General Dentz and that the latter had been given “very broad powers” — subject only to the above-mentioned limitation with respect to French political rights in the Levant.

We merely informed Rochat that we would convey the foregoing to our Government.

Repeated to London, Beirut, and Algiers.

LEAHY

3 Likes

U.S. Department of State (July 9, 1941)

740.00119 European War 1939/760: Telegram

Beirut, July 8, 1941 — 10 a.m.
[Received July 9 — 1:15 a.m.]

The following telegram has been sent to London:

The High Commissioner has just handed me a signed statement in French of which the following is a translation with the request that it be immediately communicated to the British authorities:

By order of his Government the High Commissioner, Commander in Chief of the troops of the Levant, has the honor to propose to the Commander in Chief of the British forces in the Middle East, the immediate suspension of hostilities on land, on the sea and in the air, and the opening of negotiations with a view to their definitive cessation.

He would be obliged if he could be good enough to indicate, in the event of acceptance, the place where the representatives of the French Commander could meet those of the British Commander.

Repeated to the Department, Vichy and to Jerusalem via Angora.

ENGERT

740.00119 European War 1939/760: Telegram

The Acting Secretary of State to the Consul General at Beirut

Washington, July 9, 1941 — 3 p.m.

The British Embassy in Washington informs the Department that the message from General Dentz quoted in your telegram under reference has been communicated to the British Government and that the British Government desires the following terms be communicated to General Dentz as soon as possible:

1. The Allies have no aims in Syria except to prevent it being used as a base for enemy ground and air forces against their military position in Middle East. They also have obligation to the Arab population by the guarantee of independence given on their entry into Syria. Great Britain has supported General Catroux’s declaration. The representation of French in the Levant will be assured by Free French authorities within framework of promise of independence which they have given to Syria and Lebanon and with which Great Britain has associated herself.

2. The Allies have no feeling of any kind against French in Syria and are prepared to grant a complete amnesty as regards the recent fighting. They have no charge to make against any of the commanders, authorities or troops in Syria. General de Gaulle (who has never arraigned any of his army comrades who have fought against him acting under orders they received) has no intention of doing so in present circumstances.

3. They must however take steps to prevent material of war in Syria being used against them. These materials must therefore be handed over to them.

4. As regards the French troops in Syria they must be given full opportunity of joining the Allied forces in their fight against Axis powers. At the same time the Allies reserve their right to take measures to ensure that choice of each man will be genuinely free. Every opportunity must be given of fully explaining to each individual the conditions and choice offered him. Any members of fighting forces who are not prepared to join the Allied cause will be repatriated with their families if and when circumstances permit.

5. Honourable conditions will be offered to all who wish to join the Allied forces. Those who are accepted for service will be offered continual employment in their existing ranks with full rights of promotion and guarantee of pension. The others will be honourably treated pending repatriation.

6. All French officers prepared to assist the Allied cause will as far as possible be given employment suitable to their position and rank and their salaries will be guaranteed. Other ranks will be treated in the same way as army officers. Those who are not prepared to assist Allied cause will be repatriated with their families.

7. The railways, ports, communications, wireless, oil installations, etc. will not be damaged or destroyed but will be handed over for Allied use. The Allied forces will have the right of military occupation of Syria for period of the war.

8. Any Germans or Italians in Syria will be handed over for internment.

9. All war ships to be handed over intact for internment and subsequently to be reduced to care and maintenance basis at Beirut with the power to be moved elsewhere by the order of the C-in-C Mediterranean if safety conditions demand it. Return of ships after the war or compensation guaranteed to friendly France.

10. The blockade will be lifted and Syria and Lebanon will be put into immediate relations with the sterling block.

11. All British prisoners taken in the course of operations in Syria and Lebanon shall be released.

The British Government desires that you make it clear to General Dentz, in communicating these terms to him, that with reference to reports that certain British officers have been sent to France by air for internment there, it will be necessary for the British authorities to intern, pending the release of the British prisoners concerned, a suitable number of Vichy supporters from Syria, if any British prisoners of war are not returned but remain interned in France.

The British Government also desires that you explain that if General Dentz accepts the terms contained in the attached memorandum as a basis for negotiations and replies to this effect, the British military authorities will be prepared to cease hostilities and meet General Dentz’s representatives without further delay.

WELLES

4 Likes

The Pittsburgh Press (July 10, 1941)

BRITISH MOVE TO RUSSIA SEEN

Army may go via Iran as Syrian war ends

BULLETIN

Cairo, July 10 –
Radio Jerusalem broadcast today that Allied forces are preparing to occupy Beirut as a result of failure of General Henri Dentz, Syrian High Commissioner, to reply to their ultimatum.

By Robert Dowson, United Press staff writer

London, July 10 –
British military experts, awaiting news that an armistice had ended the fighting in Syria, expressed belief today that Britain soon might seek to move troops across northern Iran to affect contact with the Russian army.

Experts suggested that the British and Free French forces now held the initiative in the Middle East and Britain soon might seek to get permission to move men across 150 miles of Iran to contact the Russian Transcaucasian army in the Caspian Sea area.

It was suggested that the British might strike also in North Africa.

It was also emphasized, in connection with this situation, that General Sir Archibald Wavell, who was recently shifted from the high command in the Middle East to the command in India, still remained in charge of Iraq, from which any move across Iran would be started.

3 Likes

SYRIAN ARMISTICE TERMS REPORTED
By Dana Schmidt, United Press staff writer

Ankara, Turkey, July 10 –
British military authorities have demanded that the Vichy forces in Syria hand over all warships in Syrian waters as well as all airplanes and other war equipment at their disposal as part of the armistice agreement, it was said in reliable quarters today.

France was not believed to have any big fleet units in Syrian waters but French destroyers, which Britain would welcome, and other valuable smaller units were active against the British Royal Navy during the campaign. There has always been a great store of war munitions in Syria, because before the French collapse there was a formidable French force there, and the Syrian Air Force was reinforced after the British attack by permission of Germany.

It was understood that negotiations between Allied and Vichy military chieftains would start at Beirut soon. Under the armistice, informants said, the Free French will be represented by General Georges Catroux, the Free French Commander-in-Chief in the Middle East.

List armistice terms

Armistice terms were said on reliable authority to be as follows:

1. Britain has no territorial ambitions in Syria and Lebanon and only wishes to prevent those countries being used as military bases against Britain.

2. General Henri Dentz, the Vichy commander, is required to hand over to the British all military equipment, including airplanes and warships, and must promise not to damage them or any Syrian communication facilities.

3. Vichy troops may return to France or join the Free French, who would give them regular pay, and promotion and pension rights. Repatriation of men who want to return to France will be arranged as soon as possible.

4. British authorities agree not to prosecute Frenchmen who carried out Vichy orders.

5. Syria becomes a member of the British sterling block, which means that trade may be started at once with Palestine and Egypt so that Syria may get urgently needed food and other supplies.

6. German and Italian officials must be handed over to the British.

7. French warships are to remain in Syrian harbors, although Britain reserves the right to move them if it deemed necessary. France would be compensated for any damage to the warships.

8. Vichy civilian officials are to be given the same treatment as military men, and may join the Free French if they wish after taking an oath of loyalty.

Nazis, Italians leave

The Italian armistice commission of about 30 men who had been in Syria crossed the Turkish border yesterday. German representatives, five in all, have also left Syria.

It was said authoritatively that negotiations for the armistice actually began when Jacques Benoist-Méchin, a key man in the Vichy inner council, visited Ankara recently.

M. Benoist-Méchin secretly sent a French envoy to the British Embassy to suggest unofficially that London communicate armistice terms.

The British government then worked out its terms, it was said, in collaboration with the Middle Eastern General Staff at Cairo. The terms were then transmitted to Washington, where the U.S. State Department forwarded them to Cornelius Van H. Engert, American consul-general at Beirut, who delivered them to French officials, it was said.

3 Likes

SYRIAN WAR GOES ON; BRITISH DON’T REPLY
By Ralph Heinzen, United Press staff writer

Vichy, July 10 –
The British have failed to reply to the Vichy government’s request for armistice terms and an “end to bloodshed and destruction” in Syria, and are attacking with redoubled intensity on all fronts this morning, the Foreign Office said today.

Official dispatches from Beirut said General Henri Dentz, Vichy High Commissioner for Syria, had yet received no reply to his request for an armistice and that fighting continued.

Prime Minister Winston Churchill, the Foreign Office said, referred to the armistice request in the House of Commons yesterday, expressing satisfaction at seeing an end to the “atrocious conflict.” But, the Foreign Office added:

Contrary to the spirit inspiring Churchill’s declaration, the British have not yet replied to Dentz.

It was also said that General Sir Henry Maitland Wilson, the British Commander-in-Chief, had “urged” General Dentz to declare Beirut an open city and evacuate his troops to avoid bombings.

There was no knowledge here, it was said, what reply General Dentz had made.

General Wilson, in an ultimatum to General Dentz, demanded the evacuation of Beirut by 5:30 a.m. local time (11:30 p.m. ET, Wednesday).

British forces have entered the outer defenses of Beirut, and are closing in on the city, General Wilson wired.

Anxious to spare civilians and damage and loss of life, I appeal to you to declare Beirut an open city and evacuate your troops. Otherwise military action will be taken.

3 Likes

U.S. Department of State (July 10, 1941)

740.0011 European War 1939/12971: Telegram

Beirut, July 10, 1941 — 11 a.m.
[Received 1:35 p.m.]

The following telegram has been sent to London.

The High Commissioner informs me officially that he has designated Rear Admiral Gouton to remain in Beirut in charge of the administrative services in the portion of the Levant States occupied by the British armies with full powers to deal with the British authorities. His staff will consist of a captain and three other officers whose names I have.

General Dentz also encloses a list of a number of French officers and other ranks, in addition to civilian officials, whom he has instructed to look after public security, the police and food administration.

The High Commissioner requests that the above mentioned persons be considered as non-combatants charged with diplomatic or administrative duties.

Repeated to Washington. Please repeat to Cairo.

ENGERT

740.0011 European War 1939/12973: Telegram

Beirut, July 10, 1941 — 7 a.m.
[Received 3:10 p.m.]

At 2 o’clock this morning I was shown a printed leaflet (which had presumably been dropped from a British plane) addressed in French to General Dentz by General Wilson calling on the former to declare Beirut an open city and requesting him to send a message to that effect by a messenger with a flag of truce to the nearest Allied outpost. If by half past five this morning such a message was not received […] would take all measures necessary to occupy the city and would hold General Dentz personally responsible for losses of civilian lives and property.

I immediately got in touch with the High Commissioner who received me a little after 3 o’clock. He had not yet seen the […] and as soon as he had read it he said angrily:

I can tell from the language that this comes from Catroux and not Wilson. Especially the reference to my having surrendered Paris proves it. I shall ignore it. If General Wilson wants to communicate with me he can send a parliamentarian. These leaflets are propaganda addressed to the inhabitants rather than a message to me.

After this and similar outbursts I said somewhat coldly that I had not come to disturb him in the middle of the night to discuss points of military etiquette with him. I did not know whose turn it was to dispatch a parliamentarian but it seemed to me this was a well-intended warning issued in good faith which required immediate attention. The General replied that he had survived before — e.g., see second paragraph of my 242, June 24, 11 a.m. — he could not suddenly make an open town out of a naval base but that he had no intention of fighting in the streets of Beirut. The British had not yet pierced his outer defenses and as soon as they did he would offer no further resistance. I replied that by that time it might be too late as his so-called outer defenses were already within easy range of the city, not to mention the fact that yesterday afternoon his heavy shore battery at Ras Beirut, i.e., within a few hundred yards of the American University and various Consulates, had for hours bombarded the British positions near Khalde. I felt the British had shown very commendable self-restraint in not immediately sending over some bombers to silence these large guns in which case a section of the residential city in that neighborhood might well unavoidably be destroyed too.

General Dentz admitted this and said he would give immediate instructions that the heavy guns of […] Beirut do not fire on the British positions unless British naval units shelled French positions. He also said his anti-aircraft guns would not fire on British planes provided no bombs were dropped. I said it was extremely important that this information be at once communicated to the British and asked if he could not send someone with a flag of truce to say at least that much and that he would not fight nearer than Khalde. He said he could not do that because the morale of his troops would suffer if it became known that an emissary had gone to parley with the enemy. But when I insisted he compromised by saying he would try and get through to the British by radio and wrote the message out in my presence.

At 4:30 a.m., he telephoned me to say that he could no longer use the radio station and was therefore unable to get in touch with the British. I begged him to send a messenger after all and when he again refused, I offered to go myself in order that only the fewest possible number of his forces should know about it. But he remained obstinate and I could do nothing but point out to him that he was assuming a very grave responsibility for no reason except that appeared to me personal pique. I added that my Government would not understand it if a thousand American lives and property were needlessly endangered or harmed.

It is respectfully requested that especially substance of section 3 of this telegram be immediately conveyed to the British military authorities. I am very much afraid that General Dentz is utterly insincere in everything he says and does and is only playing for time hoping against hope that in the end the Germans will save him yet.

Repeated to Vichy. Please repeat to London and Cairo.

ENGERT

740.00119 European War 1939/766: Telegram

Vichy, July 10, 1941 — 5 p.m.
[Received July 10 — 4:35 p.m.]

General Huntziger telephoned Rochat while we were in the latter’s office this afternoon and requested him to express to the Embassy the “very painful impression” which “the failure of the British to send any reply to the French request for an armistice” has caused. Rochat said that a telegram sent by General Dentz en clair at 10 o’clock this morning reported that severe fighting was then still going on in the Beirut area as well as heavy bombing of the city. The French Government, Rochat went on, is all the more astonished in view of Mr. Churchill’s declaration in the House of Commons “of his satisfaction that an early end could now be made to the useless killing in Syria.” He is unable to understand, Rochat continued, why the British are so long delaying a reply to General Dentz’s armistice request and appointment of negotiators, if they really desire to stop the slaughter. If it continues, the French, he said, may have to take their own steps in retaliation. He added that the French have at no time bombed British towns.

Both General Huntziger and Rochat expressed some indignation at tracts reported to have been dropped over Beirut last night characterizing General Dentz as a coward who had already fled from Beirut deserting his command. Rochat remarked that General Dentz has merely performed his duty obeying orders as a loyal soldier and he found it difficult to find justification for British attacks on his person.

Repeated to London and Beirut.

LEAHY

740.0011 European War 1939/12970: Telegram

The Minister in Egypt to the Secretary of State

Cairo, July 7, 1941 — 11 a.m.
[Received July 10 — 10:30 p.m.]

Practically the entire press here carries this morning under a Damascus headline an article of the situation by a correspondent of the Daily Telegram which contains an authorized statement on the subject by General Catroux that may be briefly summarized as follows:

The slow progress of operations in Syria is due to the desire of the Allies to avoid shedding as much blood as possible and accordingly there is a delay in realizing Syria’s nationalist aspirations. So long as Syria is not entirely in Free French hands it will be impossible to conclude with Syrian Government a treaty providing for the country’s independence. Every part of Syria, whether occupied by Free French or Vichy forces, has the right to be heard.

The treaty which will be made with Syria will not be modeled upon the Anglo-Egyptian, Anglo-Iraq or any other treaty or draft treaty.

It will be a Franco-Syrian treaty establishing and guaranteeing Syria’s independence which adapted purely to the local situation will derive inspiration from all the experience secured in this respect in recent years in the Near East. Meanwhile, in all my acts will take into consideration Syria’s interests, political as well as economic.

KIRK

3 Likes

U.S. Department of State (July 11, 1941)

740.00119 European War 1939/771: Telegram

Vichy, July 11, 1941 — noon.
[Received July 11 — 10:55 a.m.]

Rochat says that the French reply to the British armistice conditions will be transmitted to us this afternoon. He said that the conditions had caused “the most painful impression everywhere in Government circles” (and we find that this is true even among our pro-British friends in the Foreign Office) and that the reply would be negative. No government he said could sign an agreement to abdicate political rights over Syrian territory in armistice negotiations as implied in the British communication.

The British conditions he said are to be published promptly for the Government “must show the public why the armistice terms are not acceptable.” Meanwhile General Dentz is to be instructed to “make the best arrangement he can on the spot.”

In reply to our question, he said that he did not believe that these “astonishing conditions demanded by the British” would produce direct repercussions outside of the Syrian area. They show, however, he feels, a complete failure to understand “the psychology of the situation.”

Repeated to London and Beirut.

LEAHY

740.00119 European War 1939/774: Telegram

The Consul General at Beirut (Engert) to the Secretary of State

Beirut, July 11, 1941 — noon.
[Received 2:10 p.m.]

Text of the terms quoted in the Department’s 132, July 9, 3 p.m., was handed by me to the High Commissioner in person at 11 o’clock this morning together with a transmitting note in which I mentioned the substance of the two concluding paragraphs of your telegram.

General Dentz read them over and said he was prepared to accept them as a basis for negotiations and to cease hostilities immediately. He will confirm in writing tomorrow after consulting with Vichy but requests the British military authorities be at once advised and be asked to indicate the place where his representatives could meet theirs.

With regard to the British prisoners sent to France he said they would of course be released and returned.

Repeated to Vichy, London and Cairo.

ENGERT

740.00119 European War 1939/776: Telegram

Vichy, July 11, 1941 — 5 p.m.
[Received July 11 — 3:30 p.m.]

Embassy’s 855 [856], July 11, noon, with a request that it be transmitted to the British Government.

Rochat has just handed us the following communication:

Reply of the French Government to the memorandum delivered on the night of the 10th–11th of July by the Embassy of the United States of America containing an outline of the British conditions to be communicated to General Dentz with a view to the cessation of hostilities in Syria.

1. The French Government has taken note of the conditions which the British Government wishes to have communicated to General Dentz in reply to the démarche made by him on July 8, through the Consul General of the United States at Beirut.

2. It regrets to note that the political conditions figuring under paragraph number 1 are incompatible with the rights and prerogatives as mandatory power which it has the duty of maintaining especially with respect to the population entrusted to its protection. France has always considered as an essential object of the mission which the mandate assigned to it to bring about as promptly as possible the emancipation of Syria and the Lebanon and to make of them free nations. It does not intend to shirk its obligations. But, it is only under its sole responsibility that it will choose the moment for and determine the procedure of that independence. No other power can rightfully be substituted for France in this question. The declaration by which the British Government claims to emancipate Syria and the Lebanon cannot but be therefore null and void.

3. It cannot furthermore lend itself under any pretext whatsoever to negotiations with Frenchmen who are traitors to their country like De Gaulle and Catroux.

4. The French Government cannot accept the term “complete amnesty” used by the British Government in paragraph number 2. French soldiers obeying the Government of their country do not have to be amnestied.

5. The French Government cannot sign an armistice which seeks to impose clauses so contrary to its interest and its dignity.

6. The French Government has given discretionary powers of attorney to General Dentz to take the steps required by the de facto situation with which he will be faced if the English Government assumes the responsibility of inhumanly prolonging the duration of a conflict which it initiated.

Rochat again indicated orally that the authority to General Dentz contained in the last paragraph is very broad as far as cessation of hostilities is concerned under such conditions as he could arrange, but that the French Government would sign no armistice with political clauses such as the British suggested.

The two notes are to be made public almost immediately.

Repeated to London, Beirut and Casablanca.

LEAHY

740.00119 European War 1939/766: Telegram

The Acting Secretary of State to the Ambassador in France

Washington, July 11, 1941 — 10 p.m.

The sequence of events regarding General Dentz’ request for armistice terms is as follows:

On the morning of July 8, General Dentz requested Engert to inform the British authorities that he (Dentz) proposed an immediate cessation of hostilities. Engert immediately forwarded this information by triple priority telegram no. 281, July 8, 10 a.m., addressed to London, Vichy, Jerusalem via Ankara, and the Department, where it was received at 1:15 a.m., July 9.

Immediately upon receipt of the telegram, the Department informed the British Embassy in Washington, July 9.

As early as noon on July 9, the British Embassy in Washington had received British armistice terms from London and handed them to the Department. At 3 p.m., July 9, the Department dispatched these terms by triple priority telegram no. 132 to Beirut. At 6 p.m., July 9, the Radio Corporation of America informed the Department that all endeavors to get the message through to Beirut had failed. An effort was then made to send the message by Western Union cable via London and Berne. At 6:30 a.m., July 10, Western Union reported that it was also impossible to get through to Beirut by this means. The Department began communicating the terms to you early on the morning of July 10, for repetition to Beirut and also for communication to the French Government. The Department also endeavored to communicate the terms to you by telephone on the morning of July 10, but French telephone authorities refused to permit the connection, citing the French-German armistice provisions as their reason.

It is apparent from the above that the British Government acted with the greatest promptness in drafting the armistice terms, and that the delay in communicating them was occasioned entirely by transmission difficulties which the Department tried by every means to overcome.

An important fact for which no explanation has been found is that throughout July 9 and 10, the Department received telegrams from Beirut within a few hours after they were dispatched, yet the Department has been unable to send any messages to Beirut. The French authorities may desire to investigate the reasons therefor. Furthermore, it might be pointed out to the French Government that had the Department been permitted to communicate with you by telephone, some of the delay against which the Vichy authorities complain would have been avoided.

The Department regrets that it was impossible to get the terms to Beirut sooner. It should hardly be necessary to remind the French authorities that it was possible at any time during the period under discussion for General Dentz to seek an armistice under a flag of truce, by direct conversations with his military opponents.

You may use the foregoing in any manner which may be appropriate.

WELLES

3 Likes

The Pittsburgh Press (July 11, 1941)

VICHY REJECTS BRITISH ARMISTICE REPLY; FORCES WILL CONTINUE FIGHTING IN SYRIA

Vichy, France, July 11 (UP) –
The French government today rejected British armistice conditions to end the war in Syria, and fighting will continue.

The Vichy government is giving General Henri Dentz, the French commander in Syria, a free hand, it was stated.

Previously, the British terms for an armistice to end the month-old war in Syria were handed to the government here by the United States Embassy.

Cairo reported the British Imperials were closing in on Beirut, Aleppo and Homs in Syria in an effort to end the war.

General Maxime Weygand, commander-in-chief in Africa, who arrived here by airplane yesterday, conferred all morning with Marshal Henri Philippe Pétain, Vice Admiral Jean Darlan and War Minister Charles Huntziger.

A Vichy spokesman said the government would not consent to negotiate with the Free French in Syria, who are under sentence of death here, and would not permit Syrian troops to be incorporated in the Free French Army, where they might later be used against France.

Diplomatic quarters reported that the British insisted on occupying Syria and Lebanon fully, using Vichy ports and airfields and the pipeline and disarming totally the Vichy troops.

Fighting was believed to have continued in Syria today.

2 Likes

LONDON SAYS VICHY STYMIES ARMISTICE

London, July 11 (UP) –
Usually reliable sources charged today that the Vichy government is sabotaging attempts to arrange the armistice which General Henri Dentz, Vichy commander-in-chief in Syria, is seeking to arrange.

It was even suggested that the Vichy government had blocked an attempt by the State Department at Washington to telephone British armistice terms to Admiral William D. Leahy, American Ambassador at Vichy, for transmission to the French government, and it was reported that the terms had finally been sent by other means.

Reliable informants asserted that Vichy actually got the British armistice terms Wednesday night and that at 1 p.m. yesterday the Vichy radio announced they were being considered. But half an hour later, it was said, the Lyons radio complained that the terms had not been received.

Vichy reported today that Leahy had just delivered the terms.

2 Likes

ARMISTICE CHEATING BY VICHY REPORTED
By William H. Stoneman

London, July 11 –
Reports from Turkey, which are unconfirmed but credible, indicate that Vichy is cheating on the proposed Syrian armistice even before it has been negotiated.

One of the British demands was said to be that French naval vessels in Syrian waters either should be immobilized or handed over to the Free French. These terms have been in the hands of the Vichy government since Wednesday night when Washington forwarded them to American Ambassador Admiral William D. Leahy after a vain attempt to communicate with the French authorities in Beirut.

Yet it is not reported, on fairly good authority, from Ankara that General Dentz has already begun to send his fleet to the nearby Turkish port of Alexandretta, laden with war materials, which the British are also understood to have demanded.

According to the London version, armistice negotiations have been delayed by technical difficulties in communicating with General Dentz.

By Paul Ghali

Vichy, July 11 –
Britain’s reply to Vichy’s request for a Syrian armistice, shrouded in mystery because of its delay, was being studied in secrecy by officials today. Learned, from private sources, that London’s note includes a formal declaration that the British have no territorial designs on Syria but want to occupy Syrian airports and harbors.

Cairo, July 11 (UP) –
Australian troops are closing in on Beirut and fighting continues on other Syrian fronts pending conclusion of an armistice asked by the Vichy French leaders, a General Headquarters communiqué said today.

AND AFTER SYRIA?

Either by armistice or by fighting, the most mismanaged campaign of the war apparently is almost over in Syria. The bitter truce negotiations are typical of the growing hatred between the former British and French allies.

If the Vichy puppets were not completely controlled by Hitler, they would not have forced or prolonged a Syrian campaign they could not possibly win. And if the British had not kidded themselves that the French would desert and the Syrians revolt, they would not have marched in so stupidly unprotected. So the military job that was to take a week required more than a month.

The profit-and-loss sheet is not yet complete. It shows that Britain has acquired essential strategic territory. Syria is the key to the Middle East, to the Eastern Mediterranean, and to Suez; a major oil line route, and the center of Arab nationalism. But Britain has paid a price – solidified “patriotic” support for Vichy in unoccupied France exposed new weaknesses in British command, materials and “intelligence,” and delayed the reconquest of Libya.

In the Middle East, “face” means a lot. The anti-British Arabs, no less than Germans and Italians, have been encouraged by the inability of the larger combined British-Free French armies and fleets to defeat promptly the 20,000 or so underequipped, isolated, low-morale Vichy troops.

There is some reason to hope, however, that the Syrian campaign – following the Libyan and Crete defeats – is the low point for Britain. The inefficiency and shortage of British mechanized equipment, described so tragically in Parliament by officers just back from the Middle East, is being slowly overcome. American supplies are reported arriving in Cairo at the rate of one ship a day. And there has been a shakeup in military command and intelligence services.

Now the question is whether the British in that area can take advantage of the Russian war, which Hitler is waging with such contempt for the British forces in his Mediterranean and Middle Eastern flank. Three weeks of that great opportunity have gone by unused, while the London press demands offensive in the east as well as in the north.

There are four offensive possibilities there, theoretically: (1) reconquest of Libya; (2) movement across Iran-Iraq for a common frontier with Russia to defend the Middle East and India; (3) hit-and-run invasion raids, or worse, on Greece and Italy; (4) seizure of Dakar to counter Weygand and Franco, and to guard the South Atlantic.

Obviously, Mr. Churchill, whose long record is that of a plunger, will move as fast as conditions permit. But it is not so obvious that even yet, after 22 months, the British have enough planes and tanks to wage modern war.

So this question, as to where the British go from Syria, bounces back to the American production line.

2 Likes

U.S. Department of State (July 12, 1941)

740.00119 European War 1939/783: Telegram

Beirut, July 11, 1941 — 1 p.m.
[Received July 12 — 10:10 a.m.]

When General Dentz learned what the terms were, he seemed anything but pleased. He snorted audibly every time he came across a reference to Free French interests and said it was “disgraceful and outrageous of Great Britain to encourage Frenchmen to engage in civil war.” He added that he would have no dealings with the Free French but would deal exclusively with the British and all French officials who were remaining behind had been instructed to do likewise.

He wanted it distinctly understood that these terms could serve exclusively as a basis for discussion as several of them, especially surrender of war material, etc., were quite unacceptable in their present form.

Our British friends should be prepared to be very firm with him even at the risk of renewing hostilities. It would be dangerous to permit him to engage in protracted quibbling or to yield on any but unimportant details. He is already taking advantage of every hour of respite he can gain to move material and men north and consolidate fresh position. Please see also paragraph 3 my 282, July 8, and concluding sentence my 285, July 10.

Repeated to Vichy and London.

(Is the Department now receiving Beirut’s telegrams direct?)

ENGERT

2 Likes

740.00119 European War 1939/775: Telegram

Beirut, July 11, 1941 — 6 p.m.
[Received July 12 — 12:20 p.m.]

High Commissioner is endeavoring to send following message to British Commander-in-Chief Cairo:

General Dentz, High Commissioner, Commander-in-Chief troops of Levant, has the honor to inform British High Command, Middle East, that he is prepared to engage in negotiation on the basis of the memorandum which was today July 11, handed him by American Consul General in the name of the British Government.

He therefore proposes to suspend hostilities July 11 at 21 hours 1 minute Greenwich time. He requests British High Command to inform him of the place where he may send his plenipotentiary, it being understood that the French Government authorizes him to deal only with British representatives to the exclusion of those of any Allied forces.

Repeated to London and Cairo.

ENGERT

3 Likes

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (July 12, 1941)

BEIRUT DRIVE PRESSED

07, Battle_of_Beirut (Norman)
Vichy shells explode among the Australians as they advance along the coast road south of Beirut.

Jerusalem, July 12 (AP) –
British and Free French forces are pushing a relentless advance on Beirut and other Vichy French centers of resistance in Syria and Lebanon.

3 Likes

The Pittsburgh Press (July 12, 1941)

‘FINAL’ TRUCE ENDS SYRIAN WAR

Vichy general sees British for armistice terms

By Edward W. Beattie Jr., United Press staff writer

bmp
The arrow in the map above indicates Acre where the British and General Henri Dentz, Vichy commander, discuss armistice terms as the Syrian war finally ends.

London, July 12 –
Fighting stopped in Syria last midnight (6 p.m. ET, Friday) when General Henri Dentz, Vichy commander-in-chief, accepted British armistice proposals as a basis for negotiations, it was said authoritatively today.

General Dentz is now at Acre, on the Palestinian coast south of Syria, conferring with General Sir Henry Maitland Wilson, the British commander-in-chief, after crossing the British lines with officers of his staff.

Ankara reported that Britain’s armistice terms to Vichy carried a 96-hour time limit and it was believed the limit for acceptance was midnight Sunday.

U.S. consul aids parleys

General Dentz was reported to have passed through the British and Free French lines at 5 a.m. (11 p.m. ET, Friday).

Authoritative informants said an interruption of communications between Beirut and Washington had caused delay in General Dentz’s acceptance of the British terms as a basis for negotiation.

Frederick Van H. Engert, American consul-general at Beirut, had agreed to transmit General Dentz’s reply, it was said.

The Vichy government stepped into the picture yesterday by announcing its own rejection of the British terms but left it up to General Dentz to make the final decision.

Then fighting stopped

It was said authoritatively that General Dentz asked the British to send plenipotentiaries to a specified point to meet his own delegates.

Then, informants said, he gave the order to cease fire between midnight and 1 a.m. and fighting stopped.

After the “ceasefire” had been sounded, plenipotentiaries of both armies net and at once started talks.

London heard that General Dentz himself was in Acre but an official dispatch from Beirut said General Dentz had sent representatives to Palestine.

It was said authoritatively that the Vichy plenipotentiaries, carrying a white flag, met British envoys at a spot on the Beirut-Acre Road.

There was no information here on the British terms.

A dispatch from Acre said that the Vichy government was also represented by General de Verdillac, General Sir Henry Maitland Wilson, British commander in Palestine, and General Georges Catroux, commander of the Free French forces, were the Allied negotiators.

As regards reports that Britain had demanded the surrender of Vichy warships in Syrian waters, it was said authoritatively that the French ships which have arrived at Alexandretta, Turkey, to be interned are only small craft and fleet auxiliaries.

Campaign is over

It was taken for granted here that the 34-day campaign, started June 8 when British and Free French forces marched into Syria over the Palestinian and Iraqi frontiers to avoid the possibility of a German attack, was now definitely at an end.

It meant the formation for the first time since the collapse of France a year ago, a solid anti-Axis bloc embracing a big area of the Middle East.

One of the direct threats to the Suez Canal had been ended and Britain was put in much better position to defend India.

Before the end of summer, it was suggested, General Sir Claude Auchinleck, the new British commander-in-chief in the Middle East, may be able to throw even heavier forces against the Germans and Italians in North Africa.

It had also been reported that the British plan to send a huge army to aid Russia by way of Iran when the Syrian campaign ended.

A sudden flare-up of air raids in Italy and Sicily was believed to indicate here that the British High Command might believe that in attacking Russia, Germany had given it a welcome opportunity to clear up the situation in North Africa.

Naples and Syracuse, both of which have been raided this week, are important harbors for the supplying of German mechanized and air force units in Libya.

The capitulation of Syria would release British light naval forces for the Central Mediterranean.

3 Likes

VICHY TROOPS FLEE IN NAZI PLANES

Ankara, Turkey, July 12 (UP) –
Observers along the Turkish south coast and the Syrian frontier reported that for the last three nights “hundreds” of airplanes of German type, believed to be from the Dodecanese Islands or Crete, have flown to the Aleppo airport in Syria and departed before dawn.

It was suggested that the planes were evacuating Vichy troops, and it was reported that there had been enough planes to evacuate 1,000 men a night.

British naval authorities at Istanbul reported that small Vichy craft continued to arrive at Alexandretta, on the Turkish coast near the Syrian frontier. Turkish officials are interning all Vichy ships as they arrive.

2 Likes

U.S. Department of State (July 13, 1941)

740.00119 European War 1939/792: Telegram

The Minister in Egypt to the Secretary of State

Cairo, July 13, 1941 — 2 p.m.
[Received 6:50 p.m.]

The Legation is advised that the terms of an armistice in Syria were initialled last night by Generals Wilson and Verdillac and submitted here for approval. The terms were found acceptable in general but it was decided that changes were necessary in respect to certain points particularly the following.

1. General Wilson should sign for the Allied Forces (thus acting on behalf of both the Free French and British) rather than for the British Government as specified in the initialled draft.

2. Full opportunity should be allowed for Vichy forces desiring to do so to join the Free French.

3. Provision should be made for the departure from Syria of undesirable French civilians.
    It is understood that orders have been sent to General Wilson directing that appropriate rectification be made in the terms in respect to these and certain other points and that failing agreement he should signify his intention of renewing hostilities tomorrow at 2 p.m.

KIRK

3 Likes

The Pittsburgh Press (July 13, 1941)

BULLETIN!

London, July 13 –
Exchange Telegraph reported from Haifa, Palestine, today that French General de Verdillac had initialed the draft of an armistice ending the Syrian war.

3 Likes

ENGLISH LIBYAN DRIVE LOOMS AS SYRIAN WAR ENDS

Stage set for variety of British moves to aid Russian armies

By Edward W. Beattie, United Press staff writer

London, July 12 –
Fighting in Syria came to an end today, and the British Middle East Command was believed clearing the way for early offensive action against the Axis.

Hostilities in Syria ended at midnight Friday and negotiations for a final armistice were underway at ancient Acre, scene of Richard the Lionheart’s triumph in the Crusades.

There appeared to be no doubt here that the conference of General Sir Henry Maitland Wilson, British commander in Syria, and representatives of General Henri Dentz, French High Commissioner in Syria, would lead to terms ending the five-week Syrian campaign.

Britain has solid front

This meant that for the first time since collapse of France last year Britain now has a solid Middle East front running from India to the outposts of the Libyan frontier.

That this moment may be nearer than generally has been expected is indicated by the sudden resumption of Royal Air Force attacks on Naples, Italy, and Syracuse, Sicily, both important harbors for dispatch of Axis reinforcements to North Africa. With the RAF hammering these ports, the Royal Navy guarding sea lanes to the African coast and new air attacks on Benghazi and other Libyan bases the preliminaries to new action may be underway.

More troops available

Completion of the Syrian campaign will release substantial naval forces as well as military reinforcements for use in Africa.

How many reinforcements Rommel has been able to move across the Mediterranean is not known but the Germans are thought to have reduced sharply their Mediterranean air forces in order to concentrate on Russia.

Auchinleck is reinforced not only by release of forces from Syria but by a rapidly increasing flow of supplies, including tanks and planes, from the United States.

Should Auchinleck manage to clean up or badly cripple the Axis forces in North Africa, he and General Sir Archibald Wavell, now in India, would have available a very strong force with which to face the Germans in Iran, Iraq or India should the Germans crush the Russian armed forces and slash on to the southeast.

The British might even be able to move troops through Iran or even through Turkey to the aid of Russia.

Vichy, July 12 (UP) –
A government spokesman revealed tonight that General Henri Dentz is negotiating for a suspension of hostilities in Syria and said that the French government desires to terminate fighting “as soon as possible.”

It was stressed that Dentz is negotiating as commander-in-chief of French armed forces in Syria rather than as High Commissioner of Syria.

The official news agency, emphasizing the Vichy government’s refusal to treat with Free French representatives, said:

Dentz has all powers to conclude an honorable armistice but can negotiate only with the chiefs of the British Army, exclusive of all other personalities.

3 Likes

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (July 14, 1941)

SIGNING OF ACCORD ENDS WAR IN SYRIA; VICHY TROOPS GRIM

General Wilson says armistice marks close of campaign painful but necessary; Allies hail stronger position

London, July 13 (AP) –
The bitterly fought campaign of Syria and Lebanon has ended in an armistice which British sources say will make those French-mandated Levant states a bulwark of defense against Germany and bolster the spirits of the non-belligerent Turks.

Communiqués from Vichy and Cairo today announced the signing of the armistice, ending five weeks of warfare between former allies, at the Palestinian port of Acre last night.

It was described by General Sir Henry Maitland Wilson, commander of the British, Indian, Australian and “Free French” forces which had thrust half a dozen columns deep into Syria and Lebanon, as:

…a painful but necessary ceremony.

Hard feeling persists

He said:

The whole proceedings were carried out without acrimony and with a will to produce satisfactory results.

Reports from the zones where the desert fighters were aligned whole the armistice was discussed indicated, however, that hard feeling persisted between the rival armies.

Spasmodic shooting was recorded at some points Saturday morning several hours after a midnight ceasefire order went into effect. There was little fraternizing among the beaten French and the victorious invaders.

French General Henri Dentz was represented at the Acre ceremony by General Deverdillac. A British guard of honor saluted as the French delegation drove into the barrack enclosure at 11 a.m. yesterday.

General Wilson, Lieutenant General John Dudley Lavarack, an Australian, and General Georges Catroux, commander-in-chief of the “Free French,” headed the Allied representatives.

A German radio broadcast heard in New York by NBC minimized British gains in the campaign and declared that “it was neither politically nor militarily a victory for London.”

2 Likes