The Holodomor - the Communists’ Holocaust | BETWEEN 2 WARS | 1932 Part 3 of 4

Originally published at: http://timeghost.tv/the-holodomor-the-communists-holocaust-between-2-wars-1932-part-3-of-4/

What do you get when you combine vigorous grain-tax policies, bad harvests with Stalins fear and animosity for the rural population of Ukraine? A man-created murder famine, designed to kill millions of Ukrainian men, women and children. Join us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/TimeGhostHistory Subscribe to our World War Two series: https://www.youtube.com/c/worldwartwo?sub_confirmation=1 Like TimeGhost on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TimeGhost-1667151356690693/…

6 Likes

I’m really grateful to you guys for emphasizing the extent of the Holodomor. So many texts and videos deny its full extent. Before the 2016 Elections, Youtube and Google would prop-up these RT videos of all these people denying it.

6 Likes

I know this is personal, but the denial of the Holodomor is another reason why my anti-Communist tendencies pop up, along with Korea and the wall in Berlin. I remember back when I was in college my encounters with a few “neo-Stalinists”, as I called them, denying this atrocity.

6 Likes

Me too, Norman. The same goes for the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. They’re also major reasons why I’m extremely critical of VP Henry Wallace. At the same time, I recognize that current events in the news media concerning Ukrainian-Russian relations and quasi-war make it tough to cover the Holodomor without any bias. I don’t see anything wrong with that though because we can be quite transparent about it.

5 Likes

I liked it a lot. Though I do believe there’s a missed an opportunity there. I appreciate that not everything and everyone can be mentioned, but one name that should definately have been mentioned is Stalin flunkie Trofim Lysenko.

In 1927, at the age of 29, working at an agricultural experiment station in Azerbaijan, Lysenko embarked on the research that would lead to his 1928 paper on vernalization, which drew wide attention because of its potential practical implications for Soviet agriculture. Severe cold and lack of winter snow had destroyed many early winter-wheat seedlings. By treating wheat seeds with moisture as well as cold, Lysenko induced them to bear a crop when planted in spring.

Lysenko coined the term “Jarovization” to describe this chilling process, which he used to make the seeds of winter cereals behave like spring cereals. However, this method had already been known by farmers since the 1800s, and had recently been discussed in detail by Gustav Gassner in 1918. Lysenko himself translated Jarovization as “vernalization” (from the Latin vernum meaning Spring).

Lysenko’s claims for increased yields were based on plantings over a few hectares, and he believed that the vernalized transformation could be inherited, that the offspring of a vernalized plant would themselves possess the capabilities of the generation that preceded it – that it too would be able to withstand harsh winters or imperfect weather conditions.

Stalin was impressed with Lysenko’s seeming results, and approved of his poor background. By the late 1920s, Lysenko was given broad authority and his ideas were (forcibly) adopted across much of the USSR with Stalin’s backing.

Due to close partnership between Stalin and Lysenko, Lysenko acquired an influence over genetics in the Soviet Union that would last until the mid twentieth century. The consequences were catastrophic since genetics didn’t work the way Lysenko said they did. It was kind of the typical Stalinist idea, if you just believe its going to work, then its going to work, and everyone who says it’s rubbish is an enemy of the state.

Finally, and this is why I think he warranted a mention, Lysenko’s methods were later applied in Mao’s China.
The results were the same. Yields dropped, peasants starved and the government either did nothing, didn’t care or (certainly in the case of Stalin) deliberately worsened it and used it as an opportunity to deal with a hated internal “threat” causing the deaths of millions.

Lysenko fell from grace a few years after Stalin’s death and is generally held responsible for the retardedness of Soviet science as it was in the early 1960s, Lysenko used his power and influence with Stalin to have critics removed and many were purged in the 1930s.

5 Likes