The fate and future of the picturehunt

Hey all!

Some of you might be wondering whatever happened to the picturehunt we started in November 2018. The idea of the picturehunt was to let community members participate in the research of our episodes, both to extend our reach into foreign archives we’re not familiar with and to get some pressure of the backs of our editors.

Many pictures were submitted by some very committed TGA members. Many were in fact used in the WW2 and B2W episodes. However, we experienced that the pictures that were submitted most of the time came from places that we were familiar with (SA-Kuva,Wikimedia,etc) and that it didn’t really save the editors too much time.

Because we highly value your time, we decided to stop with the picturehunt in its current form. Instead, I asked you all in my first Community Briefing to send us archives we might not know about. Many people responded (I have over 40 emails to go through).

But we want to take it to the next level. Ideally, we would have these sort of ‘task forces’ with people that are specialized in certain areas (geographically or topic-wise) or speak certain languages. By doing this, we hope to make highly effective and specialized groups of people we can ask questions to, involve in research or image research and - most importantly, seek feedback or peer-review with. We don’t know exactly how we’ll do this, but I’m interested to hear any thoughts or ideas.

Cheers,
Joram

4 Likes

But we want to take it to the next level. Ideally, we would have these sort of ‘task forces’ with people that are specialized in certain areas (geographically or topic-wise) or speak certain languages. By doing this, we hope to make highly effective and specialized groups of people we can ask questions to, involve in research or image research and - most importantly, seek feedback or peer-review with. We don’t know exactly how we’ll do this, but I’m interested to hear any thoughts or ideas.

An idea for the army members would be to open threads for countries, or geographic areas, and post here photos or excerpts from diaries…

4 Likes

I’d love to help you guys cover Canada/Newfoundland and the Battle of the Atlantic. Its my favorite WW2 engagment

4 Likes