The bulgarian organisation IMRO

hello indy and team i am a fan from egypt may allah protect you from covid , my question is about the IMRO i know that they are a bulgarian organisation that supports macedonia returning to bulgaria but what did they do to achive that?

2 Likes

In a word: murder.

Their first target was a group of Serbian colonists. It then moved on to assasinating Serbian officers in Macedonia. Most famous was the assasination of the Skopjie chief of police by a lone gunman… err gunwoman Mara Buneva. The murders resulted in even harsher Serbian assimilation policies which, in turn, resulted in even more murder. On and on it went.

After the Bulgarian government denounced them, they began assasinating Bulgarian politicians as well. Anyone whom they considered a ‘traitor’ was a target. Their highest profile hit was Prime Minister Alexander Stambolyiski; had his hand chopped off, tortured for a whole night before finally being beheaded.

In the mid-1920s there was some discourse as to whether to accept funding from the Soviet Union. The dispute turned bloody and many of its leaders, like Todor Alexandrov were killed in ambushes.

I assume everyone already knows they worked with the Ustashe to murder the Yugoslav king.

In WW2 they helped set up the collaboration in Macedonia and when Bulgaria switched sides 1944, their leader Ivan Mihaylov was approached by the Germans to form a pro-German Macedonian puppet state. He refused for obvious reasons.

1 Like