Stockton Museum Aerial Torpedoe

Stockton Museum has a Lockheed PV2D twin engined naval bomber. Actually in 2012 I was on it on a donor flight to they NASA Moffet Field. Basically the Airplane was restored and returned to its home field for a visit after 60 years.

Anyway it used these Torpedoes, not the counterrotating propellors to prevent yaw (or whatever boat people call it).

1943 Mk13 aerial torpedo is alive! - YouTube

2 Likes

Well that’s it very cool. I would have definitely fanboy-ed when it rotated.

What is this counterrotating propellors?

2 Likes

Good question, did you ever take a flying lesson, or good simulator like DCS Combat Sim. If you did you must have noticed that the plane wanted to turn left as you added power.

Part of the reason is the right (clockwise) turning propellor which creates a reaction etc. Twin prop planes have a left and right turning propellor which cancel out the effect.

The same with boats, the way the prop turns actually causes a short or very long left circle.

The Torpedoe has 2 props so it nice keeps going forward in instead of circleling.

Here is a video on it from my old flight ground school! Hope this makes sense! Otherwise take a lesson in a motor boat with 1 prop and start turning left and right (or plane):wink:

The 4 Types of Left Turning Tendencies - MzeroA Flight Training - YouTube

2 Likes

Hmm dumb question. Did they ever Use counter rotating props on multi engine planes?

3 Likes

Very good question, actually yes which prevents the leftturning problem until you lose an engine leaving you with an asymmetrical engine mess.

I live near an airbase and on a Chinook helicopter it actually is easy to see that the props counter rotate. Helicopters are a bit tricky to keep level.

2 Likes

Lol i wasn’t even thinking helicopters but yes that makes sense. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hang on… so where do they fit this counterrotating propeller say on a BF-109?

2 Likes

It is a single engine plane, the pilot needs to be quick on the rudders or flip over/ground loop. This gets you a plane kill on the wrong side [quote=“1nt17cs152.ritvik, post:7, topic:8112, full:true”]
Hang on… so where do they fit this counterrotating propeller say on a BF-109?
[/quote]

2 Likes

so… single engine planes don’t have counter-rotating propellers?

2 Likes

Check this Tuploev with counter rotating propellers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBEiZhu2eII
Or the Gannet

3 Likes