Spartacus, this question has been a deep one. Why did the Allies, especially America, did not do anything to combat racism in their armies?

To oversimplify, political proclivities. Once again, it’s actually pretty complicated.

2 Likes

I mean, he could’ve still achieve stuff without them right? Right?

1 Like

I was tryna put my best 40s social political voice their heh. I take blame for that

1 Like

Not exactly, from what I could figure out.

1 Like

So basically, ignore racists and lose getting bills passed or listen and risk backlash…

1 Like

That’s quite the biased way of looking at the '40s, my friend. May I suggest this editorial from 1941?

4 Likes

This one, too (though this is more general than U.S.-specific):

3 Likes

Once again, a little more complicated than that.

2 Likes
  1. I expected my home state, Florida, to be in a newspaper bit. I apologize for that. They don’t know how to act down here.

2. I… Actually never knew that part. Everything I’ve read about 40s sociopolitical standpoint in the 40s been whitewashed in history books.

3. I think I get it. So, in FDR eyes, if he ignored the racist base of the Democratic Party, he would, not only lose on legislation, but risk losing either the presidency, Congress, or both. (If that’s wrong too, I understand. I don’t wanna bore nobody with governmental terminology)

2 Likes

No need to. Don’t ever apologize for events you had no control over :slight_smile:

I’d argue the entire history of the early-to-mid 20th century is not actually taught properly. Just not in the way the activists say it is.

Pretty much that way, though it’s not just FDR being spineless. According to black newspapers in the '30s, he himself also put forth segregation policies when he was Assistant Secretary of the Navy during World War I.

1 Like

I mean if I was FDR, I’d risk it. I wouldn’t care about the names and stuff.

But that leads to a bigger question. Why not hire or least appointment Black or poc ppl to top government position? Couldn’t that, in the short term, pushed for harder changes?

1 Like

He did have a Black Cabinet of advisers in his administration. In fact, I discussed one of those advisers in that “racism in the U.S. Army” post I linked earlier.

4 Likes

This is an excellent resource indeed.

2 Likes

I did. I mean, like how we got the Congressional Black Caucus now or like how Biden Cabinet is. Idk, I’m always for change.

This question still lingers, why was the president, of all people, so scared… Of a small (into today terms) of a base in Congress? Couldn’t he technically fire em? Again, I get the risks and all, but why not risk it, so that everyone could’ve been treated a little fairly. But I digress

1 Like

Because it wasn’t that small a base?

1 Like

Controversial comment, but change for the sake of change is not the way to go. That’s what the left fails to realize.

1 Like

Man, based sucks a lot when it’s used for evil. Dang social norms then.

I mean like change. Like racial change, social change. Economic change. Those type of changes back than. FDR, if you would take a political test on him, he’d idk he’d be left of moderate? Can’t say since he’s dead.

But, why didn’t he or his staffers condemn Britain? I never understood why he didn’t. I mean I do, but I mean I also don’t

(Condemn em during WW2)

1 Like

It wasn’t social norms either. Most of the populace was rather apathetic, if not sympathetic.

1 Like

Days like this, wish we had a time machine.

1 Like

Definitely farther left.

1 Like