Spartacus' democracy series

Dear timeghist team,

Although wwii hasn’t ended yet, I’m excited about indy’s end of democracy series. For context, i have parents in law, siblings in law, and a niece of 5 y.o. that live in Indonesia right now. This week, that country voted to elect an autocratic kleptokrat to be their president, thereby possibly ending democracy for some 250 million people. And around the world, noone cares. I hope that your series will do some small part in warding off authoritarian regimes for other people’s loved ones. So please start your warnings sooner rather than later.
I know this poat is rather pointless and ineffectual, but it’s the only thing a powerless person can do right now.
God speed the timeghost army,
A supporter

3 Likes

If they truly elected him, then isn’t that the democratic process? It’s not like a coup occurred. I have no stake in Indonesia and I wish them the best but it seems like leader after leader is being demonized before even taking office. If the people want that person then I respect that.

Many times elections are not fairly done and that would be an exception and sometimes the citizenry becomes radicalized. And they get what they vote for.

3 Likes

As H.L. Mencken said, “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

Of course, if a vote isn’t actually representative of the will of the people …

2 Likes