Queen Elizabeth 2 death

I was sad to see the news today the Queen Elizabeth had passed. Condelances for the Royal family. https://apnews.com/article/queen-elizabeth-ii-remembrance-8013aa054b8d3dc0dbda80ebda2cea41

7 Likes

The Queen is dead. Long live the King.

5 Likes

I am in Jersey, odd to wake up in a Queenless World. Very few people here can remember a pre QE2 World. RIP

Her Olympics entrance is legendary, the footage is proof James Bond and The Queen London 2012 Performance - YouTube

5 Likes

Uh… did the Brits say for Queen and Country while Elizabeth was still alive or was it always for king and country?

4 Likes

Hope Charles III doesn’t suffer the same fate as Charles I and II.

2 Likes

Oh, it’s always been correctly gendered. Our Victorian forefathers were busy taking over the world in Her Majesty’s name, while our WW2 grandfathers and great-grandfathers were doing it for the King.

4 Likes

Rather different fates. HM Charles the first got himself shortened by picking fights with Parliament, while HM Charles II died (some say) of sexual exhaustion from all the hundreds of mistresses. But in the larger sense, I think HM Charles III should manage to avoid both of those specific ends.

3 Likes

I heard a very politcally incorrect joke.

New PM Liz Truss quickly delivers on her personal pledge from the 1990s to get rid of the Queen.

For non-followers on British politics: Truss was an outspoken opponent of monarchy back when she was a member of the Liberal Democrat Party.

1 Like

I am more confused now.

2 Likes

I wonder what they said when Cromwell was in charge. Something like “God save our gracious Protector”?

Or what if Mosley had been succesful in gaining power? Which seemed to be not entirely a fictional possibility in the early to early/mid 30s, before the BUF started to escalate street violence and more than just admiration for uncle Adolf from Berlin. Those two points caused loss of support from working class members though there continued to be widespread pro BUF sympathy in the conservative upper classes, at least those same ones who also backed appeasement later.

Yes, I believe it was something like that … the Commonwealth had no aspirational democratic replacement structure as later revolutions tended to have, the person of the monarch was merely pushed out of the government, but the monarch-shaped hole was filled (perhaps provisionally) by the person of the Lord Protector. Who was, himself, quite fond of his relationship with God*

*God in this case being the austere Puritan variety very unlike that pseudo-Romish “God” the Church of England preferred.

3 Likes

I think later historians over-estimate Mosley’s actual strength of support in those years. If the BUF had managed to grow large enough to seriously threaten public order (as the Nazis had done in Germany), HM Government would have suppressed them with general support from the public. BUF fans among the nobs and the gentry, well, that kind of eccentricity has a long, long history in aristo circles, and was generally ignored.

3 Likes

Sorry, that wasn’t my intention. To answer the original query more explicitly, during reigns where the monarch was a man, the expression “For King and Country” would be used (although I suspect more ironically than sincerely), and when the monarch was a woman it would explicitly be “For Queen and Country”. The United Kingdom had a long enough period with a Queen that the switch did not create much more than a temporary feeling of oddness for most people.

3 Likes