Please don't start censoring WAH

(I’m reacting to Sparty’s latest pinned comment on youtube)

I understand it can feel like a losing battle when commercial algorithms diminish the reach and minsiformed trolls flags videos, but I wanted to bring an important point.

I personally believe that affecting a few deeply is more powerful than affecting tons slightly. There’s always going to be the “casual” viewers that will forget about it, despite the horror as time goes on and the last WAH episode they watch becomes a fading memory. This is especially true of those who are not regular viewers.

However, there’s those who support the effort and watch every single episode, even when youtube makes it slightly more complicated. I’d be inclined to think almost none of the regular viewers will forget about this series even after it ends. I also think it’s plausible that many of us will talk about the content of this series when it feels relevant. I know I do. My point is the reach is greater than the direct audience.

This series is highly relevant as it’s the most brutal but the best example of how far indifference as a form of learned lack of empathy can bring us.

… especially in this day and age where human contacts have too often become an abstraction (social media), getting rid of friends is now a click away, indifference is rampant, critical thinking needed more than ever to filter through a constant feed of internet nonsense – but replaced by meme posting and cheap black or white simple solutions to any question …

I’d like to support you guys but I’m seriously very broke, but I figured words count as well. Maybe a one time donation I could do, but I’m not interested in a subscription at the moment.

In any case, censoring WAH would pretty much diminish the impact it has on those who care, and change nothing whatsoever on those who just skip through a video out of curiosity.

Worst case scenario, I’d prefer if the videos were literally just a 15-30 seconds trailer that links everyone to the official odysee channel. I’m just putting that suggestion out there.

Don’t give up the fight against indifference. What you are doing matters.

9 Likes

Totally agree Vince and thanks :pray: for your post. There are other ways to support our mission, e.g. tell lots op people about the wealth of unbiased knowledge here.

Best Regards,

Marc/Chewie

5 Likes

I couldn’t agree more with both of you, the story needs to be told again and again! Just look at the racist and biased world we live in today, many who fear all kinds of things that sometimes don’t even exist. I am not into denying anything at all and always am open to any possible theory, as an historian should, in my humble opinion. Less and less people seem to care for what our history teaches us, it grieves me even more, reading of all those people that where left in their bereavement…never forget! :pray:

2 Likes

What I’m going to say probably should be a separate post but I don’t want to spam the forums so I’m going to say it here (I’ll leave it to the moderators to tell me if this should be moved as a separate thread)

Anyways, I’ve been thinking, since I raised the issue of indifference and learning to lose empathy (as a reason why it’s important to keep the memories of these horrific crimes as to never repeat them), I think it would be great to have a special episode about more of the psychological studies aspect. I know early on there was one about the concept of “us” vs “them”, but my angle here is a bit different, I’m talking specifically about psychology research in an attempt to explain how even normal people got caught up in all of this. I think it’s especially important that people understand that they are not just looking at “evil evil people from years ago, that could never be me!”.

You’ve already done a great job at this (keep up the good work! :+1: ), but I feel that as events get even crazier, for instance the gas chambers, it will become harder for people to not think in terms of “the evil nazis” or “what a crazy far away time that was”.

2 suggestions :

• The milgram experiement on obedience to authority
  • The concept of empathy as something we are hardwired to be able to do, but how it develops and evolves because there is a cognitive part.
    Not directly related to history (although the reader can easily make links with history), here’s an article that tacles this topic a bit. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5513638/

I’m sure there’s other studies post WW2 that would be relevant to the topic, I even think I’m forgetting an important one at the moment, so if you think of something I’d be curious to know.

2 Likes