Patreon vs site sign-up

I have been supporting TimeGhost through the Kickstarter and via Patreon. I am wondering whether it is better to convert my current Patreon pledge into a site membership or keep the pledge. I just want to maximize the amount you guys get and minimize the cut by third parties such as Patreon / VAT / others.

5 Likes

Hey Sjoerd, converting to a site membership would indeed get us more of your contribution.

3 Likes

Be aware that I think VAT would still be applicable if you signed up via the site. VAT is not a Patreon thing, it’s a thing of your country of residence (I am assuming The Netherlands from your name?) and has to be paid over any digital goods or services. And it’s not technically a cut from the money that goes to the content creator, you pay that on top of the support amount (of which Patreon will take their cut). But maybe some of the TimeGhost wizards can confirm this.

2 Likes

Speaking about subscribtions, is there any place where I could subscribe without a creditcard or paypal account? I don’t have a credit card yet and won’t have one for at least another year, so maybe there’s a place I can support you guys with manual donations through iDeal or something like that.

1 Like

How does that work? I didn’t even know that supporting the project outside of Patreon was possible.

2 Likes

If you go to the www.timeghost.tv website -> Sign up, you can support us there without Patreon.

2 Likes

Hello,

I signed up to the website rather than Patron. It’s an expensive subscription. It’s a little frustrating as on the live chat there was no option to ask questions of the team etc. I’m probably better off switching to Patron.

P

1 Like

Hi Dabrowa, we’re a bit confused - the price is the same on both platforms - in both cases VAT gets added, but that too is the same as it is a legally set amount.

2 Likes

Thank you for the prompt reply! I really think that this venture will revolutionise the telling of history.

Apologies for the confusion no issues with the price. I signed up for the higher amount to offer my support. I thought doing so via the website would mean there is no Patron commission taken out of the money you receive.

My question was more related to super chats and new videos. Am I missing out on any features by signing up to the website rather than Patron?

1 Like

David, you can use PayPal without a credit card in most countries. I have linked it to my vank account and can use PayPal to give pledges. Any money wired via PayPal gets deducted from my bank account.

2 Likes