Opinions on historical games like Assassins Creed Odessy

Hi,

I very recently bought AC Odessy and while it obviously is non-realistic game and I have little time to play it the historical scenery is beautifully realistic and also has painted statues. The only other place who does that (as far as I know) is the Roman town in Xanten which was Roman city on the Rhine. (Not very well known but worth a visit!).

It is quite entertaining to run through the ancient Greek world that I know from my schoolbooks back in the day and suddenly I get to know the locations all the islands. A bit like the Ancient Pirates game from Microprose which teaches you about Dutch ships like the Fluyt and lets the player sail past the Islands.

I guess for sales reasons they also omit Lydia, Troy and the black sea settlements as these are Greek no more. Still one can still compare it with current day schoolbooks such as the Landmark Herodotus thanks to who we know that Africa was also circumvented in ancient times as he remarked that he did not believe the Phoenicians that the sun was on the ā€œother sideā€.

Any other fun historic games which are playable, or opinions on this game?

3 Likes

As a gamer Myself and a historian Iā€™ve spent a lot of time looking for good and accurate games. For the sake of simplicity ill explain the 3 basic ways I rate historical games thereā€™s your A level games, utmost history and only minor tweaks in places as needed if even that. Then you get your level B games, some liberties are taken with history usually for the sake of gameplay but they still remain semi accurate. Then thereā€™s level C game, a joke with history (just put nearly any call of duty of battlefield game here, sorry). So with a gaming experience its how much do you want to have liberties on history for a gaming experience.

For me personally however, some of the ones I find that are either very accurate or decently accurate enough would be the Red orchestra/Rising Storm series (Red Orchestra,Red Orchestra 2, Rising Storm, Rising Storm Vietnam) they have a great fps gameplay and they remain decently historical. Verdun and Tannenberg are great ww1 games and unlike battlefield 1 they are very accurate to ww1. Post Scriptum is an amazing and supremely accurate ww2 experience, you just have to have nearly a supercomputer to run it. Hell Let Loose is another one that is ww2 set that i personally like, its arcadey but it is not horrendously off with its history. Day of infamy is pretty arcadey but unlike most games you can get different skins for different armies which are appropriate for the units they portray which is a cool novel twist. if your into flight sims I cannot praise Rise Of Flight enough for its amazing replication of ww1 aerial combat. Hearts of Iron 4 will be the last one I mention, its fun and you can go alternate history but its a SUPER grand strategy game so your in for a marathon with it.

those are just some of the ones I personally really enjoy for both gameplay and history, Iā€™m sure thereā€™s plenty others I havenā€™t played or am completely forgetting at the moment but thatā€™s just my 2 cents

3 Likes

Thanks for the great tips a lot of the games are new to me.

3 Likes

Rising Storm and Red Orchestra 2 are fantastic games. They feel very realistic.

Shame I have so little time to play them.

2 Likes