Opinion - Other History Youtubers

I despise Atun too. I was being, well, nice in my reply there (cleaning it up for this forum).

1 Like

something tells me that you watch it to because of uh… curly hair

1 Like

I have the same feeling when watching him. To me he also comes accross as a “quoter without evaluation”. E.g. Hitler was not obsessed about Stalingrad because he said so in speeches. The name was not a factor.

Obsessiveness is hard to measure BUT Hitler in his speeches was probably trying to convince the Germans that the name Stalingrad was irrelevant to him. In spite of the fact that it was a house to house forever slogging match.

Let alone his unwillingness to retreat from Festung Stalingrad later. The name mattered I think.

1 Like

TheLongHairedFlapper definitely :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

For anyone interested:

3 Likes

One should evaluate, but when one is twisting what is said to imply meanings to fit his worldview, he runs a serious risk of becoming a “quoter with overevaluation” or, worse, “quoter with misinterpretation” or “quoter with fabrication.” As an example, I pointed out the blatant manipulation of Stimson’s quotes on black servicemen by TG in my posts months ago. That’s a combination of misinterpretation, sensationalism and even omission (in that they ignore what Stimson himself had to say on the matter).

I see this a lot, “well, he said that, but he didn’t really mean it.” I’d ask: what makes one the authority to state that (unless he can read minds of people he had never even met associates of who are long dead)?

Yes, because Hitler was seeing how the battle was going and was desperate to beat the Russians and fully take the Volga and the Caucasus before the harsh winter. When the battle didn’t end by wintertime, he was forced to bog down, there was so much territory to defend and his supply lines were already thin. So, he downplayed the true nature of the battle to the public.

Look at the oil production of the region at the time and the geography of the area to see why it’s strategically important. It wasn’t just the name.

2 Likes

WOW! You’re the man! Can’t wait to dig into this list!

2 Likes