Operation Chariot

If it has not already been suggested, the St. Nazaire Raid would, I think, be an excellent candidate for a minute-by-minute account–or at least a special episode unto itself. (Admittedly there probably isn’t enough time remaining before March 28 if you weren’t already planning this.)

2 Likes

It was amazing, it was astounding, but it’s overall historical significance was not on the order of Pearl Harbor. D-Day would be a better candidate, or the Battle of Midway.

The St. Nazaire Raid is more on the lines of the raid of Baron Longchamps on Brussels. Quirky, interesting but not war-changing.

2 Likes

I certainly agree that it was not a war changing operation. I felt it might be interesting as a focus mostly because I thought in my naivete it might be more tractable for the small production team in a short time than the enormous operations. (However, I have no relevant experience in video production so I am probably entirely mistaken!)

It may perhaps add some audience engagement to emphasise that 89 men were decorated, including 5 VCs, for a limited operation lasting only a few hours. (Not that innumerable other actions throughout the conflict are not similarly worthy of attention, of course!)

1 Like