Miracle on the Vistula - Polish Soviet War - BETWEEN 2 WARS - 1920 Part 1 of 4

Originally published at: http://timeghost.tv/1920-01/

In 1920 the Bolshevik Russian Red army has more or less routed the Russian counter revolutionary White Armies. Their attention now turns to the West. Lenin wants to take the Communist revolution to Germany, France and the United Kingdom. To get there he has to go through Poland though, and he hasn’t counted with Józef…

3 Likes

I saw a documentary on youtube about the Battle of the Vistula and they made a mantion of U.S. pilots that took part in the battle, do you know if this is historical?

2 Likes

Really interesting stuff. Thank you. I’ve got to admit, Eastern European history in the interwar period is something I know very little about.

Is Tukhachevsky the same Tukhachevsky that came up with the Deep Battle doctrine used in WW2?

3 Likes

Same Tukhachevsky. One of the more underappreciated strategists of the past century.
The decision to execute him in -37 was definitely not one of Stalin`s brightest moments.

3 Likes

Great episode! Though I don’t think Go West counts as the proverb :slight_smile: if you meant “На запад!”(Na zapad!) it’s more of a wartime slogan/saying, otherwise, I have no idea what were you talking about :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s funny, because the English language idiom is “As the Russian proverb says: go west my friend, go west!” so we have an idiom referencing an idiom that doesn’t exist :wink:

2 Likes

I can’t access the video and get directed to this site even though my subscription should allow me to watch the video.

Oh, I haven’t heard that one before and rushed to fix it, ever vigilant against misinformation on the internet, because as Lincoln(or was it Lenin?) said “The problem with the quotes on internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wasn’t that Aristotle?

1 Like

Should work now updated your subscription status - we’re experiencing some problems with updates form Patreon, we’re working on a permanent solution. Our apologies.

1 Like

Many, many, many, (too many) not so bright moments for Stalin around that time…

1 Like

Yes that’s correct, there were British, Canadian, French and US volunteers in the Polish air force.

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to wacht this.

Yep, in the 7th Air Escadrille to be more precise. Also known as Kościuszko Squadron. The emblem created for this Escadrille is used to this day by Polish Air Force. It was also used by 303 Squadron in Battle of Britain.

Merian Caldwell Cooper is probably the most interesting member of 7th Escadrille. Some of you may know that Merian Cooper was the director of the first King Kong movie.

3 Likes

When I hear the “Go West” my first thought was the saying of Horrace Greely of “Go West young man” I didn’t know the Russians had a similar saying. Thank you for the clarification that it was also a Russian saying.

2 Likes

He had quite a career in Hollywood, never knew he fought in the Polish Soviet war. I looked it up and he was shot down and held as a POW for a while also. He does have a star on the Hollywood walk of fame.

3 Likes

In July 1919, Major Cedric E. Fauntleroy and Captain Merian C. Cooper, along with 15 other American pilots formed the Kościuszko Squadron to assist in the Polish-Bolshevik war. Cooper’s great-great grandfather, Colonel John Cooper, fought beside Kazimierz Pulaski at the Battle of Savannah in 1779. John Cooper tended Pulaski when he was mortally wounded.
Cooper went on to co-direct and produce the movie King Kong.
Cooper%20%26%20Fauntleroy

4 Likes

Cooper, huh? I might have known.

3 Likes