Map: Where will the Allies strike? (4-20-43)

The Pittsburgh Press (April 20, 1943)

Where will the Allies strike?

Screenshot 2022-04-20 043541
This is the question troubling the Axis and puzzling the world as the time for invasion draws near. The map shows some of the potential invasion routes the Allies may use in attacking Hitler’s European fortress.

3 Likes

The map shows there were lots of options before it happened. Obviously

4 Likes

I see… that there are no plans for invading finland. Looks like my ideas that the Finns were being helped aliens true after all.

3 Likes

I don’t think the world was quite that puzzled. Clearly some guys drinking a few brews and shooting the shit. I’m surprised they left off the option of invading from the moon because it is rumored the Nazi’s were looking at bases there.

2 Likes

Yes… They even forgot antartica. The Nazis had bases there too… only if there had taken antartica . The war would be over.

3 Likes

No, the Antarctic bases weren’t as critical as the moon base. See Robert Heinlein’s biography of the Allied special forces operation to neutralize them in Rocket Ship Galileo (1947). Some call it science fiction for juveniles, but it’s clearly based on the historical events.

3 Likes

Who knew that Stan Lee was one of the great historian’s of the 20th century.

2 Likes

Hmmm… Your sentence seems to cast doubt whether Stan Lee is a historian.

How else could he write about the destruction of Hydra Island in such detail… with pictures and dialogue too. And that too in colour. This work would get adopted into a very accurate movie called Captain America. which came out in 2011, I think.

3 Likes

Maybe none of this is history and we are just members of humans: the mini series

2 Likes

doesn’t that make The Truman Show, a meta-commentary about our lives?

2 Likes

We’re all keeping our fingers crossed that we’ll be renewed for next season …

3 Likes

Right up until the Dday landings Norway was always viewed as a high value target due to its iron mines and access to other raw materials for the Germans. This would of denied use of a serious chunk of raw materials for the German war machine as well.

It is my understanding that to relieve some pressure on both the Italy and Dday landings serious consideration was given to doing a massive feint on Norway with the idea to get Germany to commit troops and equipment to Norway while the real landings took place elsewhere.

4 Likes