Letters from readers (1-19-44)

The Pittsburgh Press (January 19, 1944)

G.I.s proud of WAC ‘pioneers of today’

Editor:

Following is part of an article by Rev. William B. Pugh, Army-Navy Chaplain Commission chairman, which was published in our camp paper. I hope it will help keep Pennsylvania in the WAC recruiting lead. I am very proud and happy to be called a “pioneer of today”! Here is the article:

Camp Stewart’s capable Women’s Army Corps really started the New Year with a bang, winning a commendation from the Post Commander, Col. William V. Ochs, for their outstanding work during the past year.

The WACs, who are staunch pioneers of today as assuredly as were their glorious ancestors of covered wagon days, came to Stewart last May and gradually began to fit into varied and important jobs with installations all over the post. It was strange to them at first; and it was strange to the soldiers to see women in uniform and have them working side by side with the men.

Gradually, however, the WACs acclimated themselves. And, more important, they made a name for themselves by their hard and diligent work at whatever assignment was given them.

As more WACs arrived, their assignments expanded. Finally WACs practically took over the Post Motor Pool, handling it with dispatch and efficiency. They even invaded the highly-technical Ordnance Branch and began to repair guns and equipment with the aplomb of veterans.

The men looked on, first with doubts, then with amazement, then with satisfaction.

Why, here were American women – in uniform – pitching in and doing their share; taking a soldier’s place, doing his job as well as he had done it, perhaps better. It was a modern miracle, one to make proud the heart of every real American man!

And that just about summarizes the attitude of every GI at Stewart towards these women in khaki: Proud – yes, and grateful to these pioneer women who have voluntarily become their comrades in arms.

Pvt. HELEN B. DROZDIK
Women’s Army Corps

2 Likes

Patriot resents criticism of 4-Fs

Editor:

There has been so much controversy over the boys in the 4-F classification, that I thought I would like to suggest something.

How about recalling these men that were taken into the service, then, after having been trained, outfitted and made ready for duty, are released as overage. I know some of them, and they are as physically fit as anyone would ever hope to be. Why can’t they be taken back to release some of the younger men, instead of picking on the 4-Fs and women folks? Plenty of them are without any dependents or small children.

Surely the Army doctors are some of the best, and they are the ones who examined these boys. Doesn’t their word mean anything? What if some of the girls and women do have to join the service, if it becomes necessary? During the depression they had to work on the WPA and like it.

This outburst of mine was caused by the numerous things I have been reading belittling these boys – probably written by people that are so afraid they will have to give up some of their pleasures or luxuries. If I could, I would join the WACs. As it is, I have donated blood, have taken a first aid course, worked on the scrap drive – even had my picture in your paper, standing beside our scrap pile. I am an air raid warden, and I do all I can to help the war effort – I save my tin cans and waste fat and paper.

All the 4-Fs I know are that way through no fault of their own. I don’t like to hear them belittled and denounced.

MAE HARRIS KUNDY
100 E Lacock St., NS

1 Like

‘Industry and labor tarred with same stick’

Editor:

I hear and read so much of strikes and the want for more money in this war that I cannot keep still any longer.

I, like the rest of the men in industry, like a living wage and share in this on the winning end same as the losing end. During the First World War there were some pretty fat salaries paid to the heads of most companies and not a word was said about it at the time. But let a workingman ask a raise now and he is a traitor or whatever they care to call him.

Some men seem to think labor doesn’t have an interest in this war, but he is paying a big price, far bigger than he gets credit for. I think our President made a mistake when this war started. He should have confiscated capital, industry and labor alike and given them $50 per month the same as our men and women are getting in this war, thereby eliminating all this hustle and bustle for more money by both labor and industry. One is as bad as the other.

E. SHELTON
Coal Valley

1 Like

‘Dr. Win-the-War is General Marshall’

Editor:

Dr. Win-the-War is General George C. Marshall. Stand by him!

JAMES EMERY BROOKS
Glen Ridge, New Jersey

Union ‘progress’ will aid soldiers, he contends

Editor:

I have read numerous letters in your column written by women who have sons or husbands in the armed forces. From what they say, I judge that they are very bitter towards unions. I can understand this feeling and I agree that strikes should be out for the duration, so as to end this war as soon as possible with the lowest possible number of lives lost. But on the other hand, we must plan now what our loved ones are going to come home to.

I realize that we have the highest standard of living in the world, but that is no reason why we shouldn’t have a better standard. The Government is wise enough to do its post-war planning now.

To those ladies I say that any progress that is made towards a better America by unions, your boys will benefit by it, for when they come back, they will be in the ranks of labor.

I know that there are some union leaders who are making a racket out of it, but that is no reason to condemn the whole organization.

If you have a bad tooth, you don’t have them all pulled.

RICHARD E. ALBERINI
357 Melwood St.