Korean War Week 002 Video - comments and suggestions

Hi TimeGhost team,

Once again, great job on the video. I would like to request that script subtitles be uploaded if it is not too much trouble, especially because YouTube’s automatically generated subtitles do not work very well for Korean words. I hope I don’t seem too nitpicky, but here’s some additional information that might be useful for future videos or research (and to help fellow enthusiasts).

At 2:33: there was a mention of Danyang pass near Punggi village. I think you might be referring to what is historically known as Jungnyeong Pass 죽령 竹嶺, (the route) in between Danyang County 단양군 丹陽郡 and Punggi 풍기 豊基. Unfortunately, Danyang Pass now refers to the Bobaljae scenic pass 보발재 near Danyang.

At 3:43 - Lee Hyung-geun 이형근 李亨根 (proper romanization: I Hyeong-geun)'s name is misspelled (guen).

At 7:12 - Kim Paik-il, Chae’s deputy is mentioned. This is Kim Paek-il 김백일 金白一 (proper romanization: Gim Baek-il), and his image can be found quite easily if you google the Hangul or Hanja.

At 7:28 - Chang Chang-kuk, ROK Chief of Operations is mentioned. This is Chang Ch’ang-guk 장창국 張昌國 (proper romanization: Jang Chang-guk). Image can be found if you google Hangul or Hanja.

At 20:33 - Bill Roberts is missing a photo. You can find one by Googling “William Lynn Roberts”.

One final comment: It is hard to effectively contextualise the Korean War without dealing with the live (culture war) issue in Korean historiography over pro-Japanese historical figures holding prominent positions in South Korea (i.e. contributing to the feeling that South Korea was essentially the pro-Japan occupation side). Without going into too much detail, you might want to have a look at the 민족문제연구소’s 친일인명사전, which is a systematised list of historical Japanese sympathisers in the ROK.

Chae Byong-duk for example, served in the IJA. Chae’s father in law is Baek Hong-seok 백홍석 白洪錫, who was a high ranking (lieutenant colonel) Korean in the IJA.

Chae’s deputy, Kim Paek-il, served in the Manchukuo army, and there were prominent protests around 2012 at his statue.

Yu Jae-hung 유재흥 劉載興 was also infamous for not being able to speak Korean, only being able to speak in Japanese.

Once again, great work!
Taylor