Japanese Midway Personel Casualties

Hello,
After watching the latest episode (Though I’m on Patreon I prefer waiting for the broader youtube community) I was struck with a question and decided to dust off my account. Indy mentioned in the episode that 2 famous (or infamous) Japanese pilots that participated in the attack on Pearl Harbor were present and on one of the carriers during the battle of Midway, but did participate because they were sick. So, my question is whether they or any other Japanese veterans of the attack on Pearl Harbor died at the battle of Midway? It would be almost poetic justice that they participated in a great victory and ended with a great defeat. If anyone has sources feel free to drop them or just reply below with information.

3 Likes

The two most famous I know about were present but not lost at Midway. Mitsuo Fuchida led the first wave on the Pearl Harbor attack and was on the Akagi when it was hit at Midway. He was wounded then but survived the war to write a somewhat controversial book about the battle. Indy, I think, made reference with this.

The other was Shigeharu Murata. He was ace torpedo bomber pilot and leader. He was on Akagi as well but I don’t think he was hurt. Had Akagi not been hit, he’d likely led a strong counter attack again the US CVs. He died later in the war.

Here’s a link that discusses Murata. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sqt4-ux9jU

3 Likes

Thank you so much, this is great information!

2 Likes

Poking around a little more on Midway, I found this guy both a PH and killed at Midway.

Cheers, map

p.s. sorry for the Italian >.<

3 Likes

I was going to mention Tomonaga. Veteran torpedo pilot who did not return from leading Hiryu’s second strike on Yorktown

2 Likes

Another notable loss.