Japan did not surrender because of the atombombing but because of the Soviet Blitzkrieg on Mantsjukwo

You are welcome, indeed there are always multiple causes. I canā€™t see why some people want to narrow it down to one cause. E.g. when I bought my house, said yes to a job I did have multiple advantages and disadvantages to consider. For the people involved in those decisions it must have been wildly complex knowing that many people including themselves were at the risk of losing their lives. Like today they probably also often listened to experts. (OK I shouldnā€™t mention Covid but it is kind of a war against a virus with hard decisions whatever we think).

2 Likes

ā€œ.ā€˜politionele actiesā€™ I am confident that this forum and community is on the right track to ā€˜never forgetā€™ā€

Politionele actions, like it was just a ā€œpolice kind of action to arrest the criminalsā€ exactly describes how the mess in Indonesia has been minimized. It seemed more like a continuous war in Atjeh and putting up the locals against each other. When I was young there still was the ā€œnostalgic viewā€ of Indonesia (well there still is). One of the things that horrified me were the tourist guides of the thirties with pictures of barebreasted local women. It is not hard to see the subtext there. I donā€™t believe in ā€œinherited guiltā€ but a lot of Dutch people are still very unaware how Indonesians feel about Dutch politicians who lecture them on environmental issues etc. Or just plainly are unaware that ā€œweā€ were in India as well. Actually I always get good feedback when I show my knowledge of our darker history.

What I like about Timeghost TV is that they really, really do their absolute best to tell about the horrors. And I learned a log of new stuff from the Indonesia episodes.

I wish we had more people from India/Japan and other places on this forum. I am trying to spread the word though. This series is monumental.

Best Regards,
Marc /Chewie :wink:

2 Likes

Although your reply is beside the point of this topic, I couldnā€™t agree with you more, Marc.
I appreciate and share your enthusiasm for the opportunity Timeghost gives us to actually discuss issues that are most important to try and work on world peace and mutual respect and understanding.

2 Likes

I appreciate all the points made here. Might have to keep them in mind for my America at war! thread in 1945 :wink:

3 Likes

Norman, you just made my day! I am really stoked that we can contribute to your content!
I appreciate you and all the Timeghost Army very much!:kissing_heart::+1:

2 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile: Check out that thread to see more on Americaā€™s involvement and how the media at large covered the war.

Itā€™s just that I just got demoted again (thanks stupid trust system) so Iā€™m in a bit of a lull regarding the updates on the America at war! thread. The reason I create wikis of the posts is because I want to edit them long after the post is written.

@avalantis A little help?

3 Likes

Thatā€™s history for you, before you know it you are part of it :wink:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good thing to say. The more I covered the war in 1941-42, the more I realized the similarities in news coverage to the coverage of the War on Terror in 2001-02. Pretty interesting, ainā€™t it?

2 Likes

I sense kindered spirits, I guess
:+1::pray::wink:

2 Likes

Nice! :smile: Make sure to go through that thread and please note, most of the articles are incomplete so would you mind helping me out by editing them? I have the newspapers written in the first posts of certain days (Check out the Pittsburgh Press archive on Google)

1 Like

My friend, youā€™ll get nothing substantial from that dreck. Even my college professor, a Stone fan, shredded it to pieces back in the day.

1 Like

I will ask Spartacus

3 Likes

Make sure to give an officerā€™s rank if this hassle continues

3 Likes

You can have my leader rank, you deserve it! Note: I already chewed up all the cookies in the officers lounge :bear::joy:

2 Likes

Oh thanks. :slight_smile: Still havenā€™t received my wiki abilities back tho.

2 Likes

I would take issue with your claim that Iā€™ll ā€œget nothing substantial from that dreck.ā€ I never gave an opinion about the Oliver Stone series as a whole. I simply referenced it as the original source I encountered to the topic at hand. So, my friend, from that point, I would argue that I did get something substantial from it.

2 Likes

Oh I see. Itā€™s just I personally donā€™t consider Stone to be a reliable source, Iā€™m sorry.

2 Likes

Hello Harry,

What you are suggesting here is born out by official documents from the Japanese Imperial Archives. Despite what we have been told, the atomic weapons used at Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not what forced the hand of the Japanese. Frankly the firebombing of Tokyo had been more destructive of life and material than either nuclear weapon. In their own words, the Japanese high command feared invasion by the USSR and the subsequent execution of the Emperor and the eternal shame of the nation of Japan as a result. (One might also suppose that the USSR seemed the greater of the various evils). Soviet attacks in Manchuria unilaterally overwhelmed the best remaining troops in Japanā€™s Army within a fortnight. Soviet operations on Sakhalin and the Kuriles were also rapidly successful, and in the case of Sakhalin continued after the official Japanese surrender, much to the annoyance of the Russians. While the Western Allies like to point to the use of nuclear weapons as the knock-out blow, this was not the thinking of the Japanese in their own documents.

3 Likes

Thank you for your input! Nice to see you agree on the matter!:+1: I cannot emphasize enough how much both major victors of ww2 already were engaging into the conflict, we call the Cold War, which was not so cold, considering all the tragic casualties it did produce: never forget!
Again I really appreciate your added comments on my topic and I believe that it is very important to stay unbiased when we discuss history, although that can be a challenge sometimes :wink:

2 Likes

Interesting points, do you have links to primary sources like mine to the surrender speech of Hiro Hito were he mentions the bomb as the main cause of surrender.

Japan as the ones on the receiving end of the A bomb always argue understandable against it. Japanese history of the bomb never even show no context and ā€œforgetā€ the Japanese ā€œA-bomb projectsā€, the Navy and Army had their own. The Army project was actually annihilated by the Tokyo bombing ( by accident).

The Soviets had a much better land Army they had showed In 1939 and the 1945 attack was successful but the did not have the naval assets to go against mainland Japan

Japanese historians mention indeed the invasion of Sakhalin Island as ā€œevidenceā€. Well see the treaty of Portsmouth, Japan invaded Sakhalin in 1905 and remained on the part below the 50th parallel. On the 11th August the Soviets started a land offensive to get it back. This went on after the 15th August as the Soviets were grabbing territory.

The Kuriles are another example. Gee it was invaded causing the Japanese to surrender (revisionist ā€œhistoriansā€ tend to forget dates or print August 1945 which is technically correct. The 18th August 1945 was however after the surrender speech and Hiro-Hito was in no position to restart a war just against the Soviets. (well they did join the anti-Soviet coalition much later.

So in my view, yes the A-bomb is horrible, the Japanese had a rightful fear of being colonised but the A-bomb made their strategy to defeat The Allied invasion unattainable. The Americans would eventually nuke away any opposition. Glad the latter never happed.

Ps I know these Japanese text can be very convincing. On of my school assignment was to examine a revisionist work on Nanking and we really had to Double check everything with prime sources .

3 Likes