In the game DC operation Barbarossa which is a veeeeeeeery accurate game when we can play the eastern front, the main character in the logo is Franz Halder, was that guy really the planifier of the biggest part of the operations, was he that important?

Hi, in the game DC operation Barbarossa wich is a very ( veeeeeeeery ) accurate game when we can reproduce operation Barbarossa ( the precision and the thousands parameters of the game are incredible), the main caracter in the logo (joined) is the General Franz Halder, was that guy really the man who plannified the biggest part of the eastern front strategies, or was him that important ?
page_1

2 Likes

Reproducing operation barbarossa accurate is the very least thing I would call a game. Maybe I am a snowflake.

1 Like

If you read his writings he was very important :grinning:

He was chief of staff so in an important position. He was involved in many of the decisions made. Imho though he was hardly the genius behind the actual planning but still he was involved everywhere.

And while games can be absorbing, fun and informative a really honest game might be quite boring as you would be stuck doing logistics logistics and yes logistics to keep the millions of Germans fighting or for pulling off the miracle of relocating Russian factories while keeping their armies fighting.

2 Likes

Unless you’re into real-time strategy games, but even then, it’s not quite the same.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the clarifications about Franz Halder role !
For the Game DC Operation Barbarossa we are incarning Jodl when we are playing germany, logistic is indeed verh difficult but since we are Jodl, we are only suffering from the consequences of the logistics, the role of Jodl is to manage troops so that they dont go too far from Army HQ so that they can have fuel and also his role is to take descisions concerning logistics, not establishing it, such as railroad mapping, FSB places … it’s a good game you can try it if you want you will really feel as if you where a high ranked officer in operation barbarossa (Russian side or german side )

1 Like

Its not reproducing exactly operation Barbarossa, its just the initial scenario;
Initially we are beggining in the exact situation of germany or USSR with the weather, military situation … then we can do whatever we want, in German side you are Jodl and you can activate historical mode as in HOI4 but here I think its more realistic and complete.

1 Like

I have had just watched week 102, when the histrocal “Barbarossa” turned into a nightmare of logistics, attrition and irreplacebal losses for the attacker. In my opinion no realistic game would be fun.

2 Likes

Gotta agree with you there. Not fun for playing either side. But it could be educational. It could teach you about how blitzkrieg and movement war worked and doing it well could be very enjoyable.

On the other hand, it’s not for me to decide what is fun. I have played incredibly long slow board games and enjoyed myself thoroughly. People play war games all the time. Doesn’t mean they enjoy war. Games are just that, games not a simulation of real life. So if you like those kind of games and I do enjoy yourself.

Also I wanted to clarify Franz Halder. He was chief of staff of the OKH which was the Army High Command. Alfred Jodl was the head of the OKW which was also army command. Both were leaders and sometimes I even get confused. The OKH was run by Hitler after 1941 so would be superior but the OKW commanded military units outside the eastern front.

Interestingly, Franz Halder was allowed to survive WW2 while Jodl was sentenced to death.

2 Likes

To clarify:
OKH = Army Command
OKW = Armed Forces Command

2 Likes

Worse, the US gave him the means to make him a innocent bystander and a “historian”.

3 Likes

Thereby doing damage to historiography on anything related to the Eastern Front. Soviet shenanigans didn’t help either, to be fair.

2 Likes

I agree with both of you. The US let an evil man off the hook and then let him write the history to make him, and his cause look better.

Why? I can’t think of a reason that makes sense 70 years later. But someone thought he was still valuable. Even Hitler didn’t think he was valuable after a certain point.

2 Likes

We agree on that. I like historical games (like HOI4), but I know they are far away from history.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the clarifications between the role played by Jodl and Franz Halder !

As long as it concern the game I found it very educational and It was a major factor that made me want to learn more about operation Barbarossa, I ve just learned a lot from it, the game can be indeed boring when we play it for the first time because there are lot of parameters and descisons de take, data to compare reports of the armies to do, precise orders to give to each general, units to check and reorganise weather, logistics… but what makes it cool is when we feel as if we where into the operation, like really immersed , adding to this that the whole operation can take more than 60 Hours of effective playing !

2 Likes

Yes I also play HOI 4, it is not realistic in many ways but still cool to play, DC operation Barbaorssa is also not 100% realistic its impossible, but it still veery realistic like 90% …

2 Likes

I think its because he had some relations with the Valkyrie operation even though he didnt took part in it he didnt opposed it, same for Speer and Manstein thats why they where spared. The problem with those guys is that they created a whole myth called ( the clean wermacht) and deformed history …

2 Likes

Halder was one of the most important figures for the planning and carrying out of Operation Barbarossa. And he unfortunately did give the go ahead for the brutal tactics the Wermacht would employ against the Russians. He like many other senior military leaders were for taking Moscow, not branching out to take Leningrad or the Ukraine first.

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarifications bro !

1 Like

Sure thing. Is this a computer game?

1 Like

Yes I find it’s an exelllent game on computer and the best I played As far concerning operation barbaorssa, there are lot of details that are very interesant, here is the trailer of the game :

Another video of 1 min to give you an idea ;

You can download it on igg games, the name of the game is Descisive Campaigns operation barbarossa by matrix games, then in the igg games page use the Mega.nz link.