I Have a Question about Korea's position during WW2

Please phrase your question in the title! - If the question needs more words, you can replace this text to add more information.

Please only post one (1) question in a topic post - you can post multiple questions, just please keep them separate.

Before I advance fruther, I want to thank about The Time Ghost Crew’s efforts, and of course Indy, Sparty, Astird, and Anna for introducing the various aspects of WW2. Listening to your video was a chance for me to learn more about this historical events. You guys have shown me that this was not much different from our present lives.

I’m South Korean. (this was why I asked you about the Korean wars in the First question.) We had learned basic historical knowledge form public schooling. Learning of 1900s, We mainly learn about Collapse of Joseon dynasty, Empire of Japan’s establishment of Government-General of Chōsen, Independence movement of Korea, Japanese rule of Chosen, Expansionism of Empire of Japan and so on.
Our Countries public historical education aims to provide historical evidence that we were still fighting before the collapse of Joseon dynasty until (spoiler. Empire of Japan’s Surrender or Liberation of Korean peninsula). However, as I learn more of historical knowledge for self studying, This is bit more complicated thing from what I learnt. I want to know about this “Colony’s“ status form the period when Germany invaded Poland until at this period. What were they doing?

5 Likes

The Cairo Confereces (SEXTANT) had been about the situations in Asia. Norman is providing the documents. Korea or, more the ignorance of Korea is in them.

3 Likes

What exactly can you do with Korea? They are under japanese occupation and too far to be liberated. So makes sense why they ignored it.

3 Likes

No, not occupation. Korean language and culture was made to be replaced by Japanese.

2 Likes

I was more curious about the daily life? The war strategic role in the Japanese Empire. I know that Taiwan was mentioned at OOF. Maybe Korea would be next to introduce :wink:

3 Likes

I was saying, What did they done at that era? were they conscripted? force labored? harsh treatment? I was curious about beyond these thing. from the third person perspective.

1 Like

I will check on that later. Thank you

2 Likes

No idea, comrade. The japanese had korean comfort women that the japanese uh… used. I think WAH may have told something about korea (I haven’t watched them)… but… I would not rely on the information that Sparty says.

2 Likes

You may find out that there is no honest or able third person. You will rely on Korean and Japanese historians.

2 Likes

I’ve learned that part too. That part of history is… rather dark indeed.

1 Like

That’s some sad news to hear. Both two counter parts show nationalistic views of that period. Not like political standpoint but as a “Nation” that makes a differ. But thanks for your replys :slight_smile:

1 Like

Korean units were treated poorly by the Japanese military, and were considered pretty much cannon fodder to the Japanese or to be like penal battalions. As you can imagine, morale was poor under Japanese command. In Korean, the Japanese had wanted to change Korea to being more like Japan. I highly recommend watching the movie “My Way”

5 Likes

@chanhyukstarwars

Got something special related to this question:

4 Likes

Korea was frankly ignored. China was a bigger issue, getting the Soviets into the Pacific War was the major issue, Korea was a footnote to be dealt with after Japan surrendered*. Given Chinese disorganization and the deployment of American forces far away from Korea, it was the only realistic way.

*As far as i can see, only after a very bloody invasion.

5 Likes

Taiwan was at one point considered a necessary stepping stone to the invasion of the Japanese home islands. Bases there could also weaken the Japanese hold on China and interdict shipping between the East Indies and the home islands.

Korea was never considered strategically valuable because of its location. By the time the USN and USMC can launch an invasion of southern Korea to cut off Japan from mainland Asia the Allies would have already landed on Kyushu, and Kyushu was only on the plans to put fighters in range of Tokyo and the subsequent invasion there.

For Allied strategy in the Pacific, Korea was a complete sideshow and lacked any perceived obligations (unlike the Philippines). Japan formally annexed Korea in 1910 and had been steadily building control of the peninsula since 1876. Contrast that to China which had lost Manchuria in 1931 (only a decade before Pearl Harbor), been invaded by Japan in 1937, and to which the USA had felt some political protective obligations since at least the 1890s.

3 Likes

Of course Allies didn’t see the strategic value on that peninsula.

However, Japanese one’s were slightly different. they still saw the Korean peninsula a road to a continent, and same time the bulwark against it. they still see that view on 2023 but in half.

and Japanese Empire would saw the same view as today. And because of that, they would planed a final battle plan no.7 on to the Jeju island ( the biggest island in the Korean peninsula.)

I was not going to ask about this question when Timeghost was just introducing the Allies perspective. I am asking this question because Timeghost crew had shown the other perspective of this war. In war against humanity, Spies and ties, and the Homefront. and because of this, Korea and this Government-General Chosen would need some spotlights that how our ancestor’s had contributed at this war. I have known the perspective about how our independence fighter’s had fought against the Empire, I want to know about the general situation about the Korean peninsula overall. and in the Third person’s eye. in the cold minded one.

1 Like