How were crash investigations conducted during world war 2?

Hello, as a avgeek who’s in civilian aviation and watches mentour pilot channel, I came to wonder how investigation were conducted in WW2 when civilian or military planes crashed.
Edit: I also wonder how different the methods of investigating crashes were back in those days.

Thanks for your answers!

2 Likes

This was before Pearl Harbor, but I think this news story of one of the deadliest crashes up to that point might give you a hint:

Check out the coverage of TWA 3 as well:

Mind you, these were civilian plane crashes.

2 Likes

There is a link on this website with the full report. Quite a detailed investigation and good read. At the time the US at least had a system of airways and beacons and navigation systems. The even had Instrument Landing Systems and stuff. ASN Aircraft accident Douglas DC-3-313 NC21789 Lovettsville, VA (aviation-safety.net)

2 Likes

Tons of other crashes and investigation. The even added some JU-52s in crashes near Stalingrad. ASN Aircraft accident Junkers Ju-52/3m registration unknown Pitomnik Airfield, near Stalingrad (aviation-safety.net)

2 Likes

If you like mentour pilot you might like this one. It handles accidents as well really well and helps me perform better as a pilot. With log time on Spits, Magisters and actually tailwheel rated on the Cub :slight_smile:

And I will just add another M0A my online flight school (I am a lifelong member. They have great free content and this explains how human factors affect safety JFK Jr Accident Analysis - MzeroA Flight Training - YouTube

2 Likes

Thanks, I do like mentour pilot and fellow mini air crash investigation and disaster breakdown, I’ve recently discovered the air safety institute who did videos onthe P63 and B17 crash.

2 Likes

This was the most disturbing for me, I flew on this plane twice (as a passenger) the second time was in Stockton were we used it to drop cement bombs and shoot blank 50 cals. The horrible stuff is that the maintenance was very bad when it crashed. There should be far more checks on maintenance for warbirds like they do in Biggin Hill and Duxford .
NTSB Factual Report B-17G Crash ‘Nine-O-Nine’ Part I -16 Dec 2020 - YouTube

3 Likes

Here is another site with free accident reports which are there to learn from Accident Case Study: Hazardous Attitudes - YouTube

2 Likes