Hindenburg Disaster

I’m a huge fan of the timeghost team I’ve watched between two wars and Indys WW1 and WW2 series a few times already but I recalled recently that I’ve never heard them mention the famous airship disaster from 1937. Did I just miss it? Is it going to be in between two wars season 2? Or do they just feel that there’s nothing really they can add to the discussion?

3 Likes

Not sure but maybe the whole idea of using airships will come up as a civilian use of transport.

I was really impressed by the one in Moffet field (near google now).

Hangar One – Mountain View, California - Atlas Obscura

2 Likes

You think? Maybe if they have a zero emissions version. Just seem to have limited use but I could be obtuse in my thinking.

1 Like

The whole question is interesting.
But in the end my reading tells me that these airships were not practical and hard to manage for example in wind. So not that easy to get to where you wanted to go. By the way the Empire state building was built to take these airships. One I think did so. Look for pictures. It really was going to be the next big thing. It is interesting that the gas used was Hydrogen. Which is flammable. They did not use helium because U.S. law prevented the Hindenburg from using helium instead of hydrogen.

I think the fire of the Hindenburg was caused by an electric spark which was caused by a buildup of static electricity on the airship. The spark ignited hydrogen on the outer skin. … Seeking the quickest way to ground, the spark would have jumped from the skin onto the metal framework, igniting the leaking hydrogen.

Japan actually launched the Fu-Go balloon bomb. Over 9,300 fire balloons where released on the shores of USA, some found their way to Canada. They didnt do much damage. Like putting a bottle in the ocean, who knows where it will go. But probably did some propaganda fear in USA.

I have seen in our modern age that they are revising the idea to transport goods to remote locations. But have not seen much of that conversation in recently.

Interesting stuff.

3 Likes