HELP! Urgent call for volunteers!

Sure, no problem. I’m glad I can help. As for the differences, well without them, we couldn’t have interesting discussions, could we? :wink:

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: 1922 01 The Greco Turkish War - Identity Politics at its Worst

1920 03
Just signed up at this very moment to help you out! Middle Eastern History is my thing, So here’s a quick writeup on your topics. The Egyptian Uprisings are mostly a 1919 thing, but since you havent covered it yet, I suppose 1920 is better than never!

At the outbreak of the Great War, the few remaining ties to the Ottomans had been cut, and the Khedive of Egypt declared a Sultan, under a british protectorate - which many Egyptians expected to be a wartime measure, to be resolved following the conflict. With the war ending, the people of Egypt, as so many others, pinned their hopes on the wilsonian self-determination. Saad Zaghlul, a lawyer from a poor family, that had worked his wat up and served as minister of justice under the Khedive, started putting together an Egyptian delegation to Versailles, to represent the country and ask for a peaceful end to the protectorate. It soon became clear he wouldn’t be allowed to go by the British. So, he started organizing a popular movement to shore up support and force the British into letting him go. on the 8th of march 1919 he and his associates in the Wafd party(Arabic for ‘Delegate’) were arrested, and exiled to Malta - The following day, in response Egyptian cities exploded in strikes, protests and civil disobedience, with some violent attacks in the countryside. The British cracked down, and at least 800 egyptians were killed before the end of the month.

For the Egyptians, this was quite the national movement - men & women, Christian and Muslims, landowners and workers all took part, albeit often in different ways. The first women’s demonstration was on march 16th, where the women were met by a row of british machine guns blocking the street. Huda Sha’rawi, the ‘mother’ of Egyptian feminism, marched on - when stopped by another protester, she shouted “Let me die so Egypt shall have an Edith Cavell!” After a long standoff, the protest broke up without any real violence - the British were loath to open fire on unarmed women.

The protests died down as spring became summer. In november 1919 the Milner Commision were sent to Egypt to investigate, and in their report to Lord Curzon they recommended a treaty of alliance rather than protectorate. So Zaghlul and the Wafd were released, and allowed to go to Paris, where they learned that the American delegation recognized Britains protectorate over Egypt. As it wasn’t possible to get Egyptian independence as part of the post-war settlement, they were forced to negotiate directly with the British. From june to august 1920, Zaghlul and the Wafd were in London, where they found agreement, that would be ratified by Parliament in february, the following year, leading to a new round of negotiations, on the exact terms of the treaty. The british terms, considering Egypt and the Suez as vital for the Empire, were too harsh for the Wafd.

1919-1922 had alternating periods of protest and negotiation, ending in the interesting case of Britain unilaterally declaring Egypt independent, february 28th, 1922. Britain did however officially retain their control over: Security of imperial communications, defense of Egypt against outside aggresion, The Sudan, and protection of foreign interests and minority rights. While the following decades were marked by constant negotiations on the British role, in essence they interfered as much as they did in the prewar years. The Wafd however, became the leading party until the 1952 revolution, and the Egyptian feminist movement, born in the fires of 1919, remained an important part of society.

I don’t have my books on hand, so it’s mostly written from memory, while looking up dates and numbers.
The books at my home, which this is (probably?) mostly based on:
Skovgaard-Petersen, Jakob: Moderne Islam: Muslimer i Kairo printed by Gyldendal, 2007

Rogan, Eugene: The Arabs: A History Penguin, 2012

This is all I can give you for now, I gotta get back to work. I’ll try and come back later and write something on San Remo and the imperialist splitting of the Middle East, focused on the french conquest of Faisals Syria, as well as their use of sectarianism in Lebanon - that should fit right into the identity-theme.

If you want me to, I’ll cover the Iraqi uprising as well - that’s the summer of 1920, so very pertinent for the episode, but if you’ve decided to cut it, there’s no point in me writing an essay on it!

3 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: 1939 01 The Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and a Recap of 20 Years of Conflict in Eastern Europe (including the Heimosodat)

A post was merged into an existing topic: 1922 01 The Greco Turkish War - Identity Politics at its Worst

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: 1930 01 The Weakening of Colonialism - From non-Cooperation to the Salt March

Guys this is fantastic - loving you all!

7 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: 1926 01 The age of Mass Media and the Superstar

I would love to cover the ENTIRE topic on the German hyperinflation, Beer Hall Putsch, etc. aka. 1923 01!
How large written content do you have together when producing one episode? Around 5 full A4 pages?

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: 1926 01 The age of Mass Media and the Superstar

A post was merged into an existing topic: 1922 01 The Greco Turkish War - Identity Politics at its Worst

Here’s a little throw away line that you can put at the end of one of your 1920 episodes:

In 1920 then Colonel J.F.C. “Boney” Fuller of the British Army opined on the future of warfare: “…Fleets of aeroplanes will attack the enemy’s great industrial and governing centres. All these attacks will be made, at first, not against the enemy’s army…but against the civil population in order to compel it to accept the will of the attacker. If the enemy will not accept peace terms forthwith, then wars in the air and on the earth will take place between machines to gain superiority.”

Source: Tanks in the Great War by J.F.C. Fuller on page 314. There’s a digital copy of it on Google Books.

I can’t get to work on it right this second, but if you need I could write up a few researched paragraphs about the early history of the aircraft carrier for a 1922 episode. In March of that year the USS Langley was commissioned by the US Navy as their first full-length flat deck aircraft carrier. Meanwhile, in December of that year the first purpose-built aircraft carrier, the Hōshō, was commissioned by the Imperial Japanese Navy.

4 Likes

Im a total noob with this sorta thing. I think the best way for me to contribute is to upgrade my membership, was gonna wait til next month but I’ll do it now. Good luck Sparty :smile:

2 Likes

But that’s a huge help as well - thanks!

1 Like

I think I may need to register with JSTOR. Apart from that, given geography I might be able to go visit the National Archives of Australia. We didn’t really figure on the world stage until Blighty decided that Aussies needed to visit Greece in early 1941, so (if needs be) I’ve got some leeway for going to Canberra.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: 1924 01 Lenin’s Death and Stalin’s rise to Power

@veles Kamil, its awesome - don’t worry about going beyond the timeline - since we can’t go back every year to every place, we have to do it like that anyway.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the great contribution. Sorry for being out of touch for a couple of days, but I’m busy with another project this week (need to pay the bills as well). We already used major contributions for three episodes that we shot last weekend and it was extremely helpful.

So far this is were what we’ve completed shooting on: (I’m working on using all the stuff from all of you, and I’ll be back with more details as soon as I get through my chaos).

@Veles contributed the centre piece of the episode on the borders of Poland coming together and the Silesian Uprisings.

@al-Srouji gave us the major information on the episode about the uprisings and division of the Middle East.

The info from @al-Srouji also inspired me to take a new approach on the women’s rights episode that we also shot on Saturday.

Also many thanks for the fact checking support - saved us from doing some really embarrassing mistakes.

Again, when (if) I get a moment tomorrow I will give you all more detailed feedback on where we stand with each of the scripts.

Based on how successful this is and that it was always our goal to take TimeGhost to the next level of cooperative content I really, really want to find ways for us to work together more. I’m using my walks with my dog to think about how to structure this better, and I look forward to sharing my thoughts as well as getting your feedback and ideas.

It’s an honour to have the privilege to share this community with you all.

Thank you.

11 Likes

Glad to be of service! Thank you, for doing the hard labor of making this project, and giving us the opportunity to pitch in and be a part of it!

2 Likes

I’m really glad I could help. This project is a great opportunity to shed some more light on a time period that is often skipped, unnoticed and misunderstood.

Keep the good work, Spartacus. We’re all looking forward to watch next episodes :slight_smile:

4 Likes