Hello indy and crew, out of the three occupiers of Greece (German,Italian and Bulgarian), which one was the harshest?

cheers,keep up the awesome work!

Certainly not the Italians. Germans, when the Resistance grew, used in a large scale reprisals against civilians, and created the Security Battalions, and Bulgarians aimed to bulgarianized Eastern Macedonia and Western Thrace, by giving motives to Bulgarians who descedented from these areas to return and to force Greeks to leave. Because of these, Resistance in Bulgarian area of occupation was widely supported by the civilian population, and later the Greek Resistance was joined with Bulgarian communist partizans

4 Likes

thank you avalantis for answering my questions, i appreciate this , you have been very helpful! but i would also want to hear indy’s take on it, since he is our best historian :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

@greekhunter1821 Even if it’s widely unknown the Italians had their series of cruel deeds as well.

3 Likes

@Clausewitz I mean no disrespect, but I’m watching the early stuff into 1940 and the Nazis are killing at least that many every week. Not to mention I’ve never heard of Italians inflicting mass starvation on the Greek people more or less they’ll starve everyone in Europe to death to make sure no Italian goes hungry. The Nazis are, well, they’re on another reality compared to anyone, not the Soviets. I’m not even sure the Japanese were this consistently awful, day in and day out in China, although maybe Sparticus’ War on Humanity will prove me wrong. I’m aware of the rape of Nanking, I just don’t know. I know millions of Chinese died, but there’s also a lot more Chinese to die in a land where incompetent administration tends to kill far more than active democidal policies.

2 Likes

@charlottev13 no disrespect taken, I just wanted to shed a light on a phenomenon that is not much brought into attention, Italian war crimes, even if they were not on such a scale as German ones, were still common and were for the most part swept under the rug on the onset of the Cold War for political reasons.
Until September 1943 Italians were at least complicit in the great Greek famine since they administered most of mainland Greece, for a preliminary look on the topic I mentioned here’s a link below.

5 Likes

Most certainly German

2 Likes