Germans blast Hindenburg tomb in big retreat (1-21-45)

The Pittsburgh Press (January 23, 1945)

Germans blast Hindenburg tomb in big retreat

The Tannenberg Memorial, in East Prussia (now Poland) in 1939

LONDON, England (UP) – Retreating German troops removed the bodies of Field Marshal Paul von Hindenburg and his wife from their tomb at Tannenberg and blew up the great memorial shrine before abandoning the town to the Red Army last Sunday, the Nazi DNB News Agency said today.

DNB said the battle flags of the Prussian regiments that fought at Tannenberg in World War I were also carried away in the retreat.

2 Likes

First the Zeppelin and now this, not sure if I trust anything with that name to stay in one piece :slight_smile:

4 Likes

By the Way, the Kaiser Wilhelm memorial is marked safe as it will only be liberated by Canadians on the 7th May (and the Germans couldn’t be bother to blow it up)

He is still there in a coffin on a table to be send to Germany when it turns Monarchy again. His last wish! Actually the coffin can be seen through the widow and is a bit of a weird sight.

Not sure if that ever will happen, don’t hold your breath or you will join him/.

Chew

2 Likes

In spirit? :joy: :crown:

3 Likes

Why though? β€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Žβ€Ž

1 Like

So that the Soviets do not disface a German monument

4 Likes

I think that says a lot about how germans felt about Kaiser Wilhelm than either the soviets or canadians.

2 Likes