German war diaries

Hey there, i have a big interest in diaries or reports of single german soldiers, what they experienced and how they felt. I have read some already like “The forgotten soldier” of Guy Sajer, “Zwischen Nichts und Niemandsland” of Hans-Jürgen Hartmann and “Vergiss die Zeit der Dornen nicht” of Günter Koschorrek. All of them very very interesting and recommended if you are interested in that kind of topic. Especially “The forgotten soldier” is a book i recommend everyone, because of the terrible experience this french german boy made during WW2.
Anyway my question here is: do you know any books of any WW2 soldier that you would recommend, historically accurat and not heroing the war but just a report of their experience in the war?

2 Likes

They are tricky to come by.

I’ve read a few of which I doubt the authenticity of. I won’t mention those, but digging through books I’ve read, I think I can recommend at least a few. I don’t know the German titles of these because I read them in English.

Eastern Inferno
This is reportadly based on a set of diaries written by Hans Roth. A German soldier on the eastern front. It felt authentic when I read it, but I have been unable to verify this.

Steel boat, Iron Hearts By Hans Goebeler. Written by a sailor on a German U-boat.

Adventures in my youth by Armin Scheiderbauer.

2 Likes