G.I. Bill of Rights sent to House (3-25-44)

The Pittsburgh Press (March 25, 1944)

G.I. Bill of Rights sent to House

Senate approves measure unanimously

Washington (UP) –
The so-called “G.I. Bill of Rights” – a veterans’ omnibus bill setting up a $3-billion education and unemployment compensation program for veterans of World War II – will go to the House of Representatives today under unanimous Senate approval.

The measure, sponsored by the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars, was approved in the Senate yesterday after less than an hour of discussion and without a dissenting vote.

A similar bill has been under consideration in the House Veterans Committee for several weeks and Legion legislative representatives said they would urge speedy action in that chamber.

The major provisions of the bill include:

• Authorization for $500 million worth of new hospital facilities.

• Educational allowances of up to $300 a year tuition fees, plus $50 a month subsistence allowance for a single veteran and $75 a month for a married veteran.

• Unemployment compensation for as long as 52 weeks ranging from $15 a week for a single veteran up to $25 a week for a married veteran who has two children.

• Loans up to $1,000, interest-free for the first year and at 3% thereafter, to aid veterans in buying homes, farms or business enterprises.

2 Likes