FDR Knew about Pearl Harbour?

Sorry, you don’t need documents to provide an alternative to the economic sanctions that the US placed on Japan. I can’t think of one, and when I do a quick look into the history, the sanctions placed on Japan were accepted in the US- thinking that it would avoid a war.

So the actions would have happened for FDR or any other President, as far as I can tell.

2 Likes

Right, but US could have opted for no sanctions and put trade ahead of moral concerns. Was the sanctions a miscalculation, or was US ready to go to war with Japan to support China?

2 Likes

I went to a week long conference in Pearl Harbor up to the 60th anniversary in 2001. My impression was that the US already had the pieces of Intelligence needed, ( the jap navy had been missing for 6 weeks an so on ) but someone had to imagne that Japan would dare to attack Pearl Harbor and puzzle the intelligence together with that scenario in mind. It is done in the movie Pearl Harbor by an intelligence officer, but I dont know if that is historic correct. But that could be the case. On the best available Intelligence we think this will happen? The decision it now up to FDR - what will he do?

2 Likes

This is my point: every bigger nation was trying to get world domination. Only in the USA was a sense of isolationism within, mostly, Republicans. FDR wanted desperately to try and open up the sentiment towards joining the UK to fight the Nazi’s but he needed a pretext to join in the war. Japan was a target that surely would bite the bate, considering their war waging manners and lack of resources. They were obliged to occupy the Dutch Indies and Malaysia, for oil and food resources alone, also making use of slave labour. Hence the economic sanctions.
By the way, Finn, much appreciate your contribution :+1:

2 Likes

I totally agree, and as I mentioned in another post, I think that things went in the wrong direction just after ww1 when Japan felt they did not get their fair share of world dominantion when the German colonies was shared by the winners. Japan wanted to be seen a equal to US and Britian, which was a rather fair expectation, I think. In stead their navy was allowed to be equal to France and Italy. So they decided to do what everyone else had done for centuries: conquer land by military means.

2 Likes

You don’t have to be.

3 Likes

Thanks Norman, you never seize to amaze me and as ever you are very much appreciated my friend!:+1::wink:

1 Like

Looking up trade with Germany, the US dealt with Germany and Japan pretty equally from 1939 on. No trade, and also Lend Lease- the UK and China both benefitted by that. And there was enough support for both China and the UK that people volunteered to fight for both.

So while the Japanese sanctions were official, it was the same for Germany, realistically.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree with you more! I simply see what others consider as separate wars as one great war that even began in 1870/1871 during the Prussian/French war, after which then the First Reich was established at Versailles.

1 Like

You mean the Second Reich, right?

2 Likes

Yep, Norman, I humbly stand corrected.
For those among us interested, during the middle ages the Holy Roman Empire was the first Reich

2 Likes

Well so be it. When someone starts using Donald Trumps statements to mock FDR and American foreign policy, I would prefer silence. Best to you.

You do realize that (1) you don’t bring modern politics here and (2) using Trump as a be-all-end-all for stupidity is very flawed, right?

1 Like

Plus, as someone who despises FDR, even I could admit that Pearl Harbor was indeed a surprise attack (albeit with some complications, like the Philippines situation).

1 Like

I didn’t do, it, I commented on it. Show me when FDR was all about making America great again. His goal was to make a prosperous society which is why he was elected.

You didn’t. But you had to say that @boemboemtsjak was using Trump’s statements. May I ask why?

If you’re speaking of FDR, I would add: More like peoples’ desperation during the Depression and the media (especially NYT) cheerleading for FDR (not realizing that FDR’s New Deal programs in fact made the Depression last longer).

1 Like

Guy’s, please stop the senseless arguing and let it go. I will remove the topic

That and I already posted my transcriptions of telegrams and articles on Japanese-American relations I did last year. I thought that was pretty much enough.

1 Like

Again much appreciated Norman!

1 Like

You were right and I’m done. Peace out

2 Likes