FDR Knew about Pearl Harbour?

I couldn’t agree with you more! I simply see what others consider as separate wars as one great war that even began in 1870/1871 during the Prussian/French war, after which then the First Reich was established at Versailles.

1 Like

You mean the Second Reich, right?

2 Likes

Yep, Norman, I humbly stand corrected.
For those among us interested, during the middle ages the Holy Roman Empire was the first Reich

2 Likes

Well so be it. When someone starts using Donald Trumps statements to mock FDR and American foreign policy, I would prefer silence. Best to you.

You do realize that (1) you don’t bring modern politics here and (2) using Trump as a be-all-end-all for stupidity is very flawed, right?

1 Like

Plus, as someone who despises FDR, even I could admit that Pearl Harbor was indeed a surprise attack (albeit with some complications, like the Philippines situation).

1 Like

I didn’t do, it, I commented on it. Show me when FDR was all about making America great again. His goal was to make a prosperous society which is why he was elected.

You didn’t. But you had to say that @boemboemtsjak was using Trump’s statements. May I ask why?

If you’re speaking of FDR, I would add: More like peoples’ desperation during the Depression and the media (especially NYT) cheerleading for FDR (not realizing that FDR’s New Deal programs in fact made the Depression last longer).

1 Like

Guy’s, please stop the senseless arguing and let it go. I will remove the topic

That and I already posted my transcriptions of telegrams and articles on Japanese-American relations I did last year. I thought that was pretty much enough.

1 Like

Again much appreciated Norman!

1 Like

You were right and I’m done. Peace out

2 Likes

Appreciate your response, no hard feelings and I hope you will enjoy the Timeghost Army as much as I do: peace :+1::pray:

1 Like

Nope, that isn’t true.

Please explain what UCLA said, then:
FDR's policies prolonged Depression by 7 years, UCLA economists calculate | History News Network.

2 Likes

That is easy, UCLA is wrong.

How so? Can you point out why instead of making a blanket statement? Can you explain how the unemployment rate remained in the double digits before the war and please explain the Depression of 1946, which my father remembers well?

2 Likes

We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. . . . I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. . . . And an enormous debt to boot!

Guess who said this.

No, it isn’t worth the effort. This whole “FDR made the depression worse” hypothesis has been bouncing around in the US since the 1990’s. It’s pretty obvious there would be no point in any further discussion. I just don’t like to witness propaganda delivered in such a casual manner without comment.

Then you don’t have the best interests of advancing knowledge at heart, I’m afraid, speaking as a historian myself.

The only propaganda I see in history circles is the adulation of FDR, which continues to this day (you can thank revisionists for that). And you dismissed the UCLA study without even looking at how they figured it out, not me. You haven’t brought a convincing argument for FDR at this point.

I bet when I recommend FDR’s Folly to you, you’d dismiss it without reading it.

Also, it wasn’t the '90s. Folks have been criticizing FDR for his policies from the beginning. Hell that quote I posted earlier was from a member of his own cabinet – Secretary Morgenthau! He wrote that in 1939.
http://www.burtfolsom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/Morgenthau.pdf

2 Likes