Election 1944: Truman resigns as probe chief (8-3-44)

The Pittsburgh Press (August 3, 1944)

americavotes1944

Truman resigns as probe chief

Candidate refuses colleagues’ pleas

Washington (UP) –
Senator Harry S. Truman (D-MO), Democratic vice-presidential nominee, resigned today as chairman of the Senate War Investigating Committee.

Senator Truman refused pleas by committee members that he remain as chairman, saying that:

I am of the opinion that any statement, hearing or report for which I would be responsible would be considered by many to have been motivated by political considerations.

Hugh Fulton, who has been chief committee counsel under appointment from Senator Truman, also submitted his resignation, but Mr. Truman said the committee would meet again tomorrow and probably would request Mr. Fulton to remain.

Writes to Wallace

Senator Truman wrote to Vice President Wallace, presiding officer of the Senate:

I herewith submit my resignation as chairman and as a member of the special committee… investigating the national defense program.

It is one of the regrets of my lifetime that this had to be done. But frankly… I am of the opinion that any statement, hearing or report for which I would be responsible would be considered by many to have been motivated by political considerations.

The accomplishments of the committee in the past largely have been due to the fact that all of its members, Democratic and Republican alike, were able to work together in harmony without partisanship. I know they would all sincerely try to continue this, and I appreciate the very great compliment which the Republican members have paid me by requesting me to continue and pledging me their support.

However, I have been nominated for the office of Vice President of the United States by the Democratic Party, and as candidate for that office it is my obligation to present to the people the accomplishments of the Democratic Party and the reasons why it should continue to be entrusted with the administration of the government in this great national emergency.

I do not want even the shadow of suspicion that the committee’s activities in any way are determined or influenced by political considerations.