Election 1944: Poll for TimeGhost Army

Certain ones, yes…

1 Like

It is only the president of the US , that is a long way from the leader of the free world.
And you don’t even get to choose the president , you get to make a sugestion to government officials that you would like them to vote for one of the 2 parties, the constitution does not require the electoral college to follow the popular vote.

Many states do require the electors to follow their states vote. Constitution leaves this up to the states.

2 Likes

The Pittsburgh Press (August 31, 1944)

Election Day is set for November 7.
Everyone will want to vote on that day.

But under the law you may not vote unless you are registered. The last day to register is October 7.

The time to register is the earliest possible day.

Suffrage was never more important. Use it.

3 Likes

Would be interesting to understand the issues of the day for America in terms of domestic affairs!

I imagine if I was an American in 1944, I’d vote for continuation of the existing Government. Seems like we’re sticking it to the Axis powers in Europe, and there’s been a good turn at sea in the Pacific … although those casualties taking islands is worrying!

2 Likes

I cover it daily with my Election 1944 posts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s one:

2 Likes

Two months to go before Election Day…

1 Like

Tough call, but I think I’m going for Dewey.

2 Likes

Wait… I have question… Why didn’t america suspend the elections until the war situation became normal like the UK?

Unlike the brits we have a little thing called ‘the constitution’. and we were never in danger of a full-on invasion like the brits.

2 Likes

I might also add that even during the civil war when the country was very much in doubt we held elections.

3 Likes

One month to go before Election Day…

2 Likes

Three weeks to go!

1 Like

Interesting that you perceive the Pacific casualties as worrying. The Pacific at this point had had short but intense battles with high casualties, but with long periods of non-combat between. The fighting in Europe had fewer casualties per day, but it was every day.
The campaign against Germany produced significantly more casualties than the campaign against Japan.

2 Likes

Two weeks to go!

1 Like

5 days to go!

1 Like

Last day of voting in the poll!

klan

1 Like

ELECTION DAY!

1 Like