Election 1944: Mrs. Bricker says women’s political interest growing (9-19-44)

The Pittsburgh Press (September 20, 1944)

americavotes1944

Mrs. Bricker: Women’s political interest growing

GOP leader’s wife urges all to vote
By Betty Jo Daniels

After traveling more than 40,000 miles with her husband during his pre-convention tour, and with thousands of miles more ahead of her during his campaign tour, Mrs. Harriet Bricker, wife of the Republican candidate for Vice President, said last night she is convinced that women are more interested than ever before in politics.

Addressing members of the press, Mrs. Bricker said:

Everywhere, I think, women really are extremely interested in politics this year and are finding it quite challenge to become active in this campaign.

‘Important to vote’

She added:

I’m sure they will realize the significance and importance of voting now, during wartime.

Affirming her comment made during her husband’s first tour that she would make few public appearances “and no speeches,” Mrs. Bricker said her only comment is voiced in her hope that every American woman qualified to vote will do so in the coming election.

She likes people

She was attired in a two-piece black crepe suit, and a small, veiled black hat. She wore gold earrings and bracelet, which matched the buttons on her dress, and an orchid was pinned to her black faille purse.

She likes traveling with her husband, Ohio Governor John W. Bricker, but finds it quite tiring sometimes when their schedule is particularly full and allows her little time for relaxation. But she likes people and receptions, she said.

Has several hobbies

Mrs. Bricker has several hobbies, among which are collecting glassware, victory gardening, and playing the piano. She has a light tan and a sprinkling of freckles on her nose from working in her garden.

Mrs. Bricker, accompanied by Mrs. Edward Martin, wide of the Pennsylvania Governor and Mrs. Margery Scranton, Republican National Committeewoman, attended the Republican rally in Syria Mosque.

She sat on the platform between Governor and Mrs. Martin while her husband delivered his address and at the conclusion of the speech was introduced to the audience by James F. Malone, Republican County chairman.

Such heresy. Damn you Roosevelt, I am voting for the other guy.

1 Like