Election 1944: Governor Dewey repudiates ‘Ham’ Fish (7-28-44)

The Pittsburgh Press (July 28, 1944)

americavotes1944

Governor Dewey repudiates ‘Ham’ Fish

Congressman blasted on racial issue

Albany, New York (UP) –
Asserting that “anyone who injects a racial or religious issue into a political campaign is guilty of a disgraceful un-American act,” Governor Thomas E. Dewey, Republican presidential nominee, today repudiated the candidacy of Rep. Hamilton Fish (R-NY).

Mr. Dewey’s statement was prompted by an interview with Mr. Fish printed in the New York Post. The interview quoted Mr. Fish as saying that “the Jews are for President Roosevelt and the New Deal.”

Mr. Dewey said:

Two years ago, I publicly opposed the nomination and election of Congressman Fish. The statements attributed to him confirm my judgment expressed at that time.

Anyone who injects a racial or religious issue into a political campaign is guilty of a disgraceful un-American act. I have always fought that kind of thing all my life and always will, regardless of partisan considerations.

I never accepted the support of any such individual and I never shall.

Two years ago, after his nomination for governor, Mr. Dewey said, “I would not vote for Hamilton Fish even if I were a resident of his district.” At that time, Mr. Fish’s district included Dutchess County, where the summer homes of Mr. Dewey and Mr. Roosevelt are. The Governor votes in New York City, however.

Majorities reduced

Previous attempts to draw Mr. Dewey out on the Fish controversy were unavailing, despite an appeal by supporters of Augustus Bennet, who will oppose Mr. Fish in the primary.

Mr. Fish has been a consistent winner in his district for many years and won last year despite the opposition of Mr. Dewey and other Republican leaders. His majorities, however, have been reduced until last year when it reached approximately 4,000. Previously he carried the district with as much as 40,000 votes.

Running in the 29th district this year, he will oppose Mr. Bennet who has already received the endorsement of the Democrats. The district includes Delaware, Orange, Rockland and Sullivan counties.

Fish replies to Governor Dewey

New York (UP) –
Rep. Hamilton Fish (R-NY) said today that “I will bet a dollar that Dewey does not carry a single district in New York City that is predominantly Jewish.”

Mr. Fish offered the bet shortly after Governor Thomas E. Dewey had repudiated Mr. Fish’s candidacy for reelection on the ground that he had injected a racial issue into the campaign.

“I am for the election of the Dewey-Bricker ticket and will support it loyally as a Republican,” Mr. Fish said, but he predicted that his repudiation by the presidential candidate would increase his [Fish’s] majority in the 29th Congressional district, “as the people of my district resent any outside political interference.”

Mr. Fish said:

When I referred to the fact that the people of Jewish origin are largely in favor of the New Deal, I stated a fact that everybody knows. I made no attacks whatever, and never have, on the Jewish people. I have never been antisemitic.