Election 1944: Dewey hails vote in Maine as trend (9-13-44)

The Pittsburgh Press (September 13, 1944)

americavotes1944

Dewey hails vote in Maine as trend

Valentine, Nebraska (UP) –
Governor Thomas E. Dewey relaxed today at the halfway mark on his transcontinental campaign tour, exuding the most confidence since his nomination in June that he will win the presidential election in November.

There were two major encouraging factors:

• Optimistic reports from Midwestern Republican leaders on the outlook in Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota.

• Returns from Maine’s state election showing what Mr. Dewey described as “the greatest Republican landslide in the history of the state.”

Enjoys news and rest

Mr. Dewey obviously enjoyed the encouraging news, as well as his period of relaxation at the 12,000-acre by-the-way ranch of former Governor Samuel R. McKelvie, Western manager of the New York Governor’s presidential campaign.

It was evident when he walked briskly out on the lawn late yesterday afternoon and announced to the assembled correspondents: “Gentlemen, I have a story for you.”

He had just finished a long telephone conversation with Republican National Chairman Herbert Brownell Jr., during which he received the results of the Maine election in which the Republican Party won the gubernatorial and Congressional races.

Pointing out that Republican candidates polled more than 70 percent of the total vote, an increase of seven percent over 1940, Mr. Dewey said it was proof that “the marked Republican trend is continuing at an accelerating pace.”

Foresees GOP Congress

Mr. Dewey said:

The people of Maine have demonstrated the rising confidence in the leadership of the Republican Party which I have found evidenced every place as I came across the country.

It is becoming clear that the people have decided, not only for their states but in the national government as well, that the peace and prosperity of the United States and the world will be better served by the election of a new and competent administration and that they propose to elect a Republican Congress to work with the new administration.

That will being a new and refreshing harmony between the executive and legislature branches of government which we so long have needed and which is so essential to the solution of the problems we will face next January.