Election 1944: Dewey favors Jewish nation in Palestine (10-13-44)

The Pittsburgh Press (October 13, 1944)

americavotes1944

Dewey favors Jewish nation in Palestine

Governor reviews Columbus Day parade

Albany, New York (UP) –
Governor Thomas E. Dewey said today that he “heartily endorsed” proposals to reconstitute Palestine as a free and democratic Jewish commonwealth.

The Republican presidential nominee issued a statement supporting the Palestine plank of the GOP platform after a conference with Dr. Abba Hillel Silver of Cleveland, chairman of the executive committee of the National Zionist Emergency Council.

Favors Palestine opening

Governor Dewey said:

I heartily endorse the Palestine plank in the Republican platform. I again repeat what I previously stated to the great leader of the American Zionist movement and distinguished American, Dr. Abba Hillel Silver, that I am for the reconstruction of Palestine as a free and democratic Jewish commonwealth, in accordance with the Balfour Declaration of 1917 and the resolution of the Republican Congress in 1922. I have also stated to Dr. Silver that in order to give refuge to millions of distressed Jews, driven from their homes. I favor the opening of Palestine to their unlimited immigration and land ownership.

Governor Dewey and his wife registered last night to vote in New York City. He gave his age as 42 and his residence as the Roosevelt Hotel.

Windup plans set

Governor Dewey plans to deal with international affairs, agricultural problems and the future of small business during the closing days of his campaign, it was reported reliably today.

He will discuss foreign policy next Wednesday at the Herald Tribune Forum in New York City. The farm speech probably will be delivered on his trip through the Midwest and the problems of small business in one of the Eastern talks.

Governor Dewey, it was said, is planning a strenuous “stretch drive.” This strategy was seen in his decision to return here last night, rather than remain in New York City. His aides said there would not be so many interruptions if they worked on the speeches at the capital.

1 Like